Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Love love love that picture. Perfect example of the different egg styles! We have one that lays sky blue painted eggs.

The longer days here are definitely helping.

Love love love that picture. Perfect example of the different egg styles! We have one that lays sky blue painted eggs.

The longer days here are definitely helping.
Please post a picture of your blue eggs. I wasn't aware that stock carrying that gene was present in the US.

Regarding the previous posters with birds not laying daily, have you ever culled your flocks based on thrift? Even when I start with the best breeding stock there will be culls among them. Having seven birds only lay five eggs per day during full production is a perfect example of having less than thrifty birds in your flocks. The traits that cause those birds to not be thrifty will stay in your flock until you remove the offending birds.

Last edited:
She hasn't started back up yet. I shipped some of her eggs out a bit back, but they didn't hatch. I'll post some when she starts back up. I got these lines from a guy down south of me who imported his original lines.

The kicker to the crazy lady with multiple layers is... When I called her out on it she said she bought them from me. Which is impossible because I have never sold any. I've sold eggs the last couple of weeks, but non that would be laying. I finally blocked her because she was getting my animal pictures and using them like they were her own.

Please post a picture of your blue eggs. I wasn't aware that stock carrying that gene was present in the US.

Regarding the previous posters with birds not laying daily, have you ever culled your flocks based on thrift? Even when I start with the best breeding stock there will be culls among them. Having seven birds only lay five eggs per day during full production is a perfect example of having less than thrifty birds in your flocks. The traits that cause those birds to not be thrifty will stay in your flock until you remove the offending birds.

We get blue eggs on occasion, but not regularly. This one was laid this past fall. It was really late in the season, and I popped it in the incubator in the hopes of getting more of the blue egg line, but unfortunately it did not hatch.

The gene that throws a blue egg coturnix is extremely rare. Even in Canada. Its usually tied to silver birds..... There is one breeder in the US that I know of who has them... They are not yet being sold and likely wont be for a year or more..... But they are here and they do hatch!

Last edited:
The gene that throws a blue egg coturnix is extremely rare. Even in Canada. Its usually tied to silver birds..... There is one breeder in the US that I know of who has them... They are not yet being sold and likely wont be for a year or more..... But they are here and they do hatch!

My blues came from a fawn roo X a tux hen - I'd been breeding for fawn tuxedos. I have a fawn tux roo out of that line, so I may cross him back to the tux hens and see if can get more.

Back
Top Bottom