Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I set up my grow out pens today. I used Beaktime water cups and a gravity feed system. I was wondering if anyone else has used these for quail?
My quail are more than happy to drink water from the cups but have not seemed to figure out how to make more come out.
Am I being an overly nervous parent?

I love these for quail, just make sure to put them high enough that they can't throw sand, feed or whatever into them. I found that if I manually fill the cups a few times so they see water comes from them they pick it up quickly. If one has learned to trigger the cup the others will see and learn to use them. It helps if there is not another source of water while they learn but maybe put their old drinker in at the end of the day in case they haven't caught on. Most of mine learned the first day, they are curious and with the bright colors will investigate, see water and drink it if they are thirsty.

I love these for quail, just make sure to put them high enough that they can't throw sand, feed or whatever into them. I found that if I manually fill the cups a few times so they see water comes from them they pick it up quickly. If one has learned to trigger the cup the others will see and learn to use them. It helps if there is not another source of water while they learn but maybe put their old drinker in at the end of the day in case they haven't caught on. Most of mine learned the first day, they are curious and with the bright colors will investigate, see water and drink it if they are thirsty.
Sill thanks for the reply. I took away their other water and triggered it myself they are drinking from the cups and I am hoping they get it soon.

My male finally gave a signature call this morning. My female has been very vocal, making a call like a missile and laying eggs for some time now. I have been putting them into an incubator and finally opened them to find no development. I hope with this calling will come some mating. I would like some babies from them and to this point I have never noticed them mating. Does the start of his calling indicate he is maturing?

My male finally gave a signature call this morning. My female has been very vocal, making a call like a missile and laying eggs for some time now. I have been putting them into an incubator and finally opened them to find no development. I hope with this calling will come some mating. I would like some babies from them and to this point I have never noticed them mating. Does the start of his calling indicate he is maturing?
Is the male dropping white foamy poops everywhere yet?

I have not noticed that yet. The only thing was the call I heard from him for the first time. Ill look for the foam droppings. Thanks for the tip!
Ive had quail eggs rolling around in an incubator for months now since the female started laying back in December. None that I have opened show any development.

I have not noticed that yet. The only thing was the call I heard from him for the first time. Ill look for the foam droppings. Thanks for the tip!
Ive had quail eggs rolling around in an incubator for months now since the female started laying back in December. None that I have opened show any development.
I wish you were closer, I have almost 200 fertile eggs that I can't give away.... More hard boiled eggs I guess!

Oh thank you. I guess if I never get fertile eggs from this pair I can go back to the person who sold them to me as a mating pair and get some eggs from him. He has so many he tosses them to his dog to eat.

Back
Top Bottom