Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I am really hoping that some will start to hatch early and hatch on Thursday. On Thursday my daughter turns 4. I thought it would be fun to try and set them to hatch on her birthday.

I am sorting birds and will be hatching soon too. DH is fussing, no quail left in the freezer! He loves to smoke them, and share at our campground potluck dinner opening weekend.. Several of our friends love my pickled quail eggs
big_smile.png

I've got almost two dozen eggs in a homemade incubator right now. This is our first clutch ("clutch"?) of quail eggs, and the first night we had them I woke up three times in the night to check on the temperature. Next time I've got to rig up some kind of thermostat in there or I'm going to go nuts.

They've been in there since last Saturday and we're looking at hatching chicks on April 1! or thereabouts.

I am sorting birds and will be hatching soon too. DH is fussing, no quail left in the freezer! He loves to smoke them, and share at our campground potluck dinner opening weekend.. Several of our friends love my pickled quail eggs
big_smile.png
I'm processing my first quail this weekend, I would like the recipe for smoking them. please!

I hatched out Jumbo brown Coturnix quail in the same still air incubator with my Silkie eggs. Had it setup so my quail hatched out 4 days before my silkies and 27 of the 31 eggs hatched. Not one died and have been doing just fine. They are 4 weeks old and going strong. It can be done with good results just be careful and plan out your hatchlings. Loving my quail on the homestead!! Can't wait for the second generation!

Back
Top Bottom