Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Pretty cool, I'll have to give them some healthy treats then! Already going to give them alfalfa sprouts. Been saving pasta sauce jars forever, finally have a use for them.
big_smile.png

I do wheat grass fodder about once a week. Sometimes I'll add other seeds to the wheat. I don't have a fancy set up, just old produce containers but hey it works. Poke enough holes in the bottom for good drainage and you got a "fodder system".

They don't eat this as well as the other greens but it's nice for a change of pace. You haven't lived until you've seen quail rolling around like dogs on wet wheat grass in summer! Must be refreshing! So I would count wheat grass as more of a play thing than actual food even though they do eat some. I have yet to try alfalfa. Let us know how they like it.

One hatched
sad.png
but my lamp went out 5 days to hatch for many hours... Three more eggs rocked and rolled but passed in their shells
hit.gif
12 out of the 15 actually developed until the bulb died.... I expected 10 chicks to hatch, but then as I said the bulb was out for several hours...

Oh my, it's horrible that they passed
sad.png
. Sorry.
But at lest you had some luck with one
big_smile.png
. If at first you don't succeed... I wish you luck.

I sprouted some Alfalfa for the family (my boyfriend, myself and the quails, lol) and it's ready, so I will be feeding them some tomorrow. I gave them broccoli sprouts before and they ate it all, I gave them chia sprouts tonight, but it was getting dark, so I don't know if they ate it or not. I will see how it goes with the Alfalfa. Hopefully they like it
fl.gif

Do you have to put anything over the wire mesh in the incubator after you take them out of the turner for them to hatch on?

No you dont have to cover the wire. But if you put a dish towel or paper towels down it will save alot of mess in your bator.... Might I suggest you research hatching in the up right position..... I hatch in cartons and feel its worthwhile.

Ok I have a question...

If the humidity in the incubator is to high what will happen?

I just set up the incubator and got the temp stabilized but the humidity is at 70% not the recommended 50 to 55%.

What should I do?

Ok I have a question...

If the humidity in the incubator is to high what will happen?

I just set up the incubator and got the temp stabilized but the humidity is at 70% not the recommended 50 to 55%.

What should I do?
If it's forced air you can put a 3/8 sized hole somewhere near the fan. This will reduce the humidity pretty quick. Putting something over the hole and partially covering it up can help maintain a constant level once you get a stable level.

Back
Top Bottom