Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

That is exactly what I info I was looking for. So far I have only had eggs from one female so none to compare to. I was wondering if different females lay different looking eggs, even slightly different. I will keep and eye out for any more out of the ordinary from those being laid in more mass (3-1 brown to golden). I would like to hatch some more golden. Does anyone know if brown is dominant over golden or how that works genetically.
I rescued my females from a slaughter house because my male was alone and wanted him to have company ASAP. That was the only place I could find more mature females. I had to pick through the cages of quail to fine females and I only noticed the one golden and the rest were all browns.

That is exactly what I info I was looking for.  So far I have only had eggs from one female so none to compare to.  I was wondering if different females lay different looking eggs, even slightly different.  I will keep and eye out for any more out of the ordinary from those being laid in more mass (3-1 brown to golden).  I would like to hatch some more golden.  Does anyone know if brown is dominant over golden or how that works genetically.
I rescued my females from a slaughter house because my male was alone and wanted him to have company ASAP.  That was the only place I could find more mature females.  I had to pick through the cages of quail to fine females and I only noticed the one golden and the rest were all browns.

I don't know a lot, but I just re read the entire thread last week (my eggs should be coming soon, hopefully) and I needed a refresher. I don't remember if it was this thread or another thread where several people were discussing an issue with a certain hen and someone suggested to look at the egg pattern to try to determine which hen, or something..... Anyway, the other person came back with a pic of a handful of eggs and sure enough, a bunch of them appeared to have the same pattern "stamped" on them....

I think they were trying to determine how many hens in the pen was laying, so they were looking at how many different egg patterns were in the pen. I hope that helps. I have no idea about your other question, sorry!

I incubated 46 eggs this last run and got 36 hatched chicks.
I have 3 golden 1 A &M white and 7 wild (brown) colored hens. All the males are wild color.
Out of the hatch I got 12 golden 3 white and the rest were wild color. I didn't count the number of eggs of each color. But that will be one of the things I do in the next batch.

I have some A&M eggs due to hatch Monday. Does anyone know much about that type of coturnix? Im assuming they will get along fine with the wild and one golden that I have in my quail pen.
Also how old do the young ones need to be before there can be any hope of a successful integration into the group?

I am not certain but I think you can tell the difference in the eggs by color. I have several golden and wild color females and I get two distinct color patterns on the eggs. In the cages where there are only wild color I only get eggs like the one on the right and in cages where there are Goldens I get the color pattern on the left.
I am not an expert I am just a dude who raises quail for food and fun. Good luck
If they are in different cages just put an X on the golden eggs with a pencil as you remove the eggs so you can tell for sure.

I have some A&M eggs due to hatch Monday. Does anyone know much about that type of coturnix? Im assuming they will get along fine with the wild and one golden that I have in my quail pen.
Also how old do the young ones need to be before there can be any hope of a successful integration into the group?
A&Ms are just white coturnix. They will get along fine if they are the same size and you introduce them properly. Never mix small quail with big ones. Make sure the can see each other for a week or two before you put them together and put them in a "new" pen that none of the quail have been in before so the older quail don't feel they have to defend their established territory from the interlopers. You can always put them back in the old pen after a week or so and it too will be "new" by then.

Be aware that some quail will be attracted to the dark spots on the white quail and peck them. Not to be mean but because they can't help pecking at a spot sometimes. If blood is drawn you will have to remove the white quail before it is injured further. I only keep white quail with others that have been raised with them. I get less picking that way.

Oh yes, Im well aware of the peck at a spot routine with my chickens.

I keep my quail in one pen in an aviary where chickens also roam. The chickens are free to come and go from the aviary but the quail are secure in their pen. They can see but not mingle with the chickens. All seem to be thoroughly entertained by this arrangement. So when the ladies start laying (too young yet plus change in environment must have set back any egg laying calendar for them) they will all be laying in the same general; area. I will look for a stand out egg design and hope it is Goldie's.

Aviary with quail pen having white sheet at roof

Close up on quail pen

Quail loves to hide in curly straw

My first female and male pair. She died probably because I only had her and she was over mated and stressed. Now I have four females with the one male. Much better for all.

Oh yes, Im well aware of the peck at a spot routine with my chickens. I keep my quail in one pen in an aviary where chickens also roam. The chickens are free to come and go from the aviary but the quail are secure in their pen. They can see but not mingle with the chickens. All seem to be thoroughly entertained by this arrangement. So when the ladies start laying (too young yet plus change in environment must have set back any egg laying calendar for them) they will all be laying in the same general; area. I will look for a stand out egg design and hope it is Goldie's. Aviary with quail pen having white sheet at roof Close up on quail pen Quail loves to hide in curly straw My first female and male pair. She died probably because I only had her and she was over mated and stressed. Now I have four females with the one male. Much better for all.
I'd suggest moving the chickens far from your quail. Chickens carry disease that don't show up in them but will kill your quail. I've housed then together with no ill affect but have seen others report great loss from this. Just because you don't have a problem today doesn't mean you won't tomorrow. It could go months before you have a flare up. You should also tend to your quail first & chickens last to keep from transferring anything. If you can keep shoes outside the coop to only ware if that coop will also help protect your birds. This is extreme for most people but it depends on how concerned you are with your flock. Open tips are not good ether because wild birds flying over can drop disease in their coop.

Back
Top Bottom