Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

All poultry herders have and can share totally different stories when it comes to experiences. I have a breeding group of Pharoahs in a small coop inside my chicken coop/run. They have been there for at least 6 months without any issues. Then again, I have had birds from my breeder quads who were being kept pretty far from the chickens and other quail who simply drop dead. No rhyme or reason. What works for me here is communication! I have bought birds from friends that became sick and died, I notified the breeder to help them contain their problem and get it repaired and they restarted healthy flocks. Secondly, know who you get birds from... I get mine from friends so I know that their birds are healthy.

How can you know that you are getting clean birds when there is no possible way to test for any of the diseases ive mentioned and many i havent?
If there are no ways to test for it then no one will ever know if they get sick birds or will they ever be able to treat, so what difference does it make. It makes more sense to get your birds from people you trust and you know they have healthy birds!

That is senseless logic. I got my chickens from the hatchery as day olds. Shipped to my post office that I picked up. No chickens had been on my place for about two years before I got the day olds. My quail I had eggs delivered to my door & hatched. My quail were quite healthy. Several generations were all doing good. Until I moved the quail cages into the chicken coop. They all died. Most of them went quick but the rest even tho they looked healthy were week & I ended up losing them once the temperature cooled.

Just because you haven't lost yours yet doesn't mean you won't. It is also pretty poor to try to give bad advice that it is OK when there is people here that is giving first hand knowledge that it isn't.

Sadly it seems to be the people that says "I love my birds so much", "it is so cruel to kill your birds", or " I could never do anything to hurt my birds" that are arguing & encouraging coopping them together. When those of us that is out to spend the least amount of money to turn or birds into the cheapest eggs & meat that we can are telling you to do the little extra work & spend the money to give your birds a health life.

Everyone that wants their birds to be happy, do you think a dying bird is happy?

This dumbfounds me that we are the ones called the cruel ones.

That is senseless logic. I got my chickens from the hatchery as day olds. Shipped to my post office that I picked up. No chickens had been on my place for about two years before I got the day olds. My quail I had eggs delivered to my door & hatched. My quail were quite healthy. Several generations were all doing good. Until I moved the quail cages into the chicken coop. They all died. Most of them went quick but the rest even tho they looked healthy were week & I ended up losing them once the temperature cooled.

Just because you haven't lost yours yet doesn't mean you won't. It is also pretty poor to try to give bad advice that it is OK when there is people here that is giving first hand knowledge that it isn't.

Sadly it seems to be the people that says "I love my birds so much", "it is so cruel to kill your birds", or " I could never do anything to hurt my birds" that are arguing & encouraging coopping them together. When those of us that is out to spend the least amount of money to turn or birds into the cheapest eggs & meat that we can are telling you to do the little extra work & spend the money to give your birds a health life.

Everyone that wants their birds to be happy, do you think a dying bird is happy?

This dumbfounds me that we are the ones called the cruel ones.
I will bypass the "senseless logic" comment for now... Before you moved your quail into the chicken coop did you do any research regarding housing chickens and quail together? When you started losing your quail did you ever take them to someone to find out why they died? Did you have anyone check out the chickens that were near the quail?

Now, back to the senseless logic comment. Feel free to research any of my past posts and count how many times I say, "Do this or Do that". In my reply to your post above, I did not say that everyone should house their birds the way I do. I simply shared what works for me... As far as giving advice or demands as you have done, I leave that to people who have more time to troll on the interweb!

In addition, can you tell me why your "first hand knowledge" is any better than mine? And... can you tell me how I can get perfect hatches from my quail eggs because I want to do better than the 60-80% that I currently get? Everywhere I have read and most of the quail breeders I talk to state an average 50% hatch rate. Also, first hand experience for one is drastically different from others so it might be possible that everyone isn't having the same first hand experience as you. Wait, I already said that...Sorry.

Lastly, people should realize that whenever you commit to something, i.e.; chickens. quails, dogs, cats, or even gold fish whenever you go the cheapest route; food, housing, medications, and time you can expect the cheapest outcome and unhealthy subjects. You honestly do get "What you paid for".

So, since I have taken steps to ensure that the housing conditions for my birds are good, the food they eat is nutritious, and I treat my animals correctly when they develop problems (whether untestable or untreatable) that is all we can do to raise healthy animals. And guess what... I still have healthy animals die. Last time I checked so does everyone else!!! But most importantly, buy healthy stock from people you know and trust, the will save you time, money, and heartache. Good luck with your flocks...

Hi! I am thinking of starting a quail pen next year and I am trying to read thru the thread. I have a question though. How far apart should quail be kept from chickens? I hoped to pen and run them beside my chickens, but if not possible then CRAP!!Just finishing a 10'x16'coop build.
In my experience, here in California (maybe different than others) I have hatched, brooded, and have grown out chickens and quail together. The only warning I have read was don't allow chickens to eat quail droppings because it may be toxic to chickens, however my chickens have showed no ill effects of living in close proximity. 10x16 sounds like a nice size coop... Enjoy!

Quote:
"please excuse me for bringing up a sore subject. it was not my intention. rethinking my coop and breeds for it."

Never be afraid to ask for advice here. there are tons of people who have asked the same questions that your are wondering about. Most (not all) will share their experience and knowledge without attacking you. Be expected to share pictures... because some of us are crazy for pictures.
Why are you rethinking your coop? Make it safe and secure on the outside then you can make it fun and functional on the inside! Have fun with it.

Hosspak
My post wasn't directed to you. As you can see there is much more then stuff you said in there. It comes from seeing these same comments over & over. Next to perfect hatches for me were about 90% most of the time. To get this yourself I'm not sure but things important to me was gathering the eggs often, high protein daily, cleaning the incubator well after every hatch, using a egg turner, leaving the hatchlings in for several hours only opening to grab a hand full at a time, cleaning any eggs with anything on them, 6 hens to one roster, & culling eggs & birds I didn't want. I've never opened a egg that was developed. All of them were the green stink bombs. That isn't saying I opened every egg tho.

Before housing my quail with the chickens I didn't research it but I did know about it. I guess I thought I knew better then those warning about it. I did brood some chicks together without problems.

Not keeping them with chickens doesn't keep you safe ether it only makes it less likely. If your birds are outside they can get sick from wild birds also.

As for trolling I don't have the time or the interest. ;)

Oh forgot to add I didn't have them tested since raising quail here is touchy to start with & the cost isn't worth while once everything is already dead. I just quit instead. My line couldn't be replaced anyhow & I didn't want to start a new line.

I go by the motto make sure you get what you post for because just because you pay more doesn't mean you get more.

Last edited:
please excuse me for bringing up a sore subject. it was not my intention. rethinking my coop and breeds for it.
Some subjects will cause arguments, please don't feel you are at fault. My feeling is if we need to disagree it should be privately. Post your OP's and experiences absolutely! I for one, was so insulted by a breed thread a few years back, It made me not want to keep the breed! We are here for one reason. Learn and share.
Bottom line is everyone should speak an opinion, its their right to do so. Everyone is also entitled to their opinions correct or not. What works for one doesn't to another and its pointless to insult those who don't agree or share the same views. And at that note, I am sorry you were made to feel uncomfortable. I research, chat and read, and follow what my families have done for generations. I then do the things that work best for me.
idunno.gif

Thank you jchny2000 and hosspak. my new coop will have a 10x7 pen for LFCochin, a 3x6 pen for a broody or injured bird or extra roo, then I had hoped to put a small batch of quail in the last 3x3 space. We are still working out the layout. Hubby says put it here and I am like ummm that's not where I want it. so yeah , I am not real set on the cochin pen being that size but I have to go where the joists are. grrrr. I want plywood along the bottom of all the pens to better separate them and that too is being an issue. I am starting to ask who is the bird nut here that does all the research on this subject???? so tired of being told no and having to refind the info to show the guys. I need a beer now just thinking about it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom