Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

@

50 of em with a week to go till hatch. Thinking to leave them in the rails on the bottom of the bator for hatching out. First time incubation on em.

My quails are way over 8 months now and I only got two eggs like 3 months ago. I give them game bird food with about 20+% and no eggs. I have two males and two females on wire cage. Any suggestions

My quails are way over 8 months now and I only got two eggs like 3 months ago. I give them game bird food with about 20+% and no eggs. I have two males and two females on wire cage. Any suggestions
20% is too low, IMO. 24%+ is preferred. ( I use 30%, they grow bigger in a shorter span, bigger birds will lay bigger eggs.)

Also, if they run out of water, even if for a short time, they will stop lay almost immediately. I have a gallon waterer and have had to fill it up twice a day before.

If they had run out, the egg count was low the next day.

Too many males will stress your layers as well. It may take 2-7 days for them to pickup lay well again.

I like 3-10 females per male, I have a breeding group with three females and one male. They lay very well.

I HAD 9 males growing out in the "colony" pen, getting 2-4 eggs daily. After removing all but two, Im back up to 10-14 eggs per day.

The Happier they are, The better they should lay.

Always keep a dustbath for them if they're on wire! And maybe another part of the floor could be SOLID as well, to help their happiness.

Even the growout pen/cots get their own Dustbowl!!

I wanted to make a raised pen for quail but still have a solid ground since they would be for eggs only. Would you recommend sand, pine chips, straw?

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread. Pharaoh quail tend to max out at 10-12 ounces a jumbo should be at least 14 oz as an adult bird. For the largest coturnix buy James Maire Farm Meat Makers.

Back
Top Bottom