Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

My quail pen/ brooder without the doors. The doors just slide left and right to open and close. I installed a strand of LED lights so each space is lit. It works more like a Woods Coop I think. I keep a fan on my adults when needed.

I'd be interested to know how the sliding door thing works for you. How are can you,open it before you'd loose control of the birds and risk one getting out? Looks very smart. You have some great DIY skills there.

Thank you, doors slide to the left and I have only had one escape since far while collecting eggs. My current birds are use to me partially climbing in the pen after eggs.

Welcome to the thread Bhu! Please let us know how your hatch goes. I have 50 in mine with a week left on them.

lol that will be like 50 crazy bumble bees with legs all running round like crazy ha ha ha too cute to imagine! Will let you know how my humble 12 hatch goes. Still got 10 days...
1f609.png
1f603.png

It should be ano almost week long hatch. Collected eggs for a week, then set those, collected eggs every day after and added those too.

Ahhhhhh ive still got a week to wait. Still haven't increase humidity to 68 yet
1f629.png
Patience patience.
1f602.png
1f413.png

Lol, i should have chicks hatch for a week with this one. Plus I filled the bator the rest of the way Saturday with an egg shipment I received. Should be my last hatch for the year, unless I set more quail since they grow so fast.

I have to ask, what to you folks hatching huge amounts of quail do with all your birds? Are you farming them for meat and eggs? I have way more quail than I really need as pets right now but I cant see myself raising them to sell for food. Just curious, not a judgement on anyone. Please dont take any offense to my question I really just would like to know what folks are doing with all their quail.

I have to ask, what to you folks hatching huge amounts of quail do with all your birds?  Are you farming them for meat and eggs?  I have way more quail than I really need as pets right now but I cant see myself raising them to sell for food.  Just curious, not a judgement on anyone.  Please dont take any offense to my question I really just would like to know what folks are doing with all their quail.

I sold day old birds for$25 a hundred. 30 years ago. The rest went in the freezer. Had a Bator that held 1500 quail eggs

I have to ask, what to you folks hatching huge amounts of quail do with all your birds?  Are you farming them for meat and eggs?  I have way more quail than I really need as pets right now but I cant see myself raising them to sell for food.  Just curious, not a judgement on anyone.  Please dont take any offense to my question I really just would like to know what folks are doing with all their quail.

I don't have any yet, but my plan is to have 8 breeder females and 2 roos in 2 cages, then have 8-10 cages with egg layer females, 10 per cage. The males will be chosen from the breeder cage with the better egg laying hens and the individual males will be chosen by size and ease of gender determination, the others will be processed and sold for meat or fed to my cats

Back
Top Bottom