Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I guess there is a market for the meat and eggs. I tried to give some of my eggs away and even some of the males as long as the folks didnt tell me what they planned to do with them. I could not find any serious takers.

Most people today don't hsve the time to fool with them. Now if you dressed and packaged them they would take them. LOL. I have a new pen built but have not found any close enough to get yet.

One woman told me she was afraid to eat quail eggs, chicken eggs yes but not quail eggs.

??? That's just crazy! Most quail are raised in captivity so no chance of them feasting on toxic plants. Quail eggs are great hard boiled as an appetiser. Need a lot to replace chicken eggs for baking though ;) ha ha ha

One of my neighbors was raising emus @15 years ago. We would boil the eggs for 30 minutes for hard boiled. Made breakfast for several people. When the fad went out we processed the adult birds legs and thighs into burger. My kids loved it and were sad when we ran out.

I guess here in California folks have weird ideas. I think we are actually behind the rest of the country in even having fowl in our yards. I have my quail as pets and I love them but I just have way too many males and I worry about the stress on the females. Plus Im overloaded with eggs. I guess Im going to have to start making some omelettes but I just cant see myself processing animals I consider my pets.

I guess here in California folks have weird ideas. I think we are actually behind the rest of the country in even having fowl in our yards.  I have my quail as pets and I love them but I just have way too many males and I worry about the stress on the females.  Plus Im overloaded with eggs.  I guess Im going to have to start making some omelettes but I just cant see myself processing animals I consider my pets.

Set the males free
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom