Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Since moving mine to that 30x48 rabbit cage, and adding those rabbit rest pieces, all of their feet are completely healed. The dust box they love and they lay their 5 eggs a day in it. easy gathering. My wife fond a co-op that will get any amount of the Purina wild bird feed 30% protein for me. We got 2 bags at $31 per bag. Cheap compared to what TSC sold it for 2 years ago, now they don't even carry the 18% feed. I am feeding this to both coturnix and bob whites, all are singing, laying and happy. Will hatch out a bunch next year for the table. I have a 4'x12' run to raise them in. My incubator will handle many eggs at one time. I won't hatch out any more bobs. By luck, I have 2 males and 8 females. Good luck all. I have sifted my oyster shell and all of the birds eat it, I also have sifted an entire bag of chicken grit. The pieces are perfect sized for them. I also feed meal worms bought in bulk 11 pounds for $65. this lasts a long, long time and are of great quality, no dust, junk or anything. They also get a treat of white millet, shelled sun and pumpkin seed, and nuts. All of this is and the meal worms are treats. I use the measuring cup off a fabric softener, their main feed is the 30% Purina wild bird we got 2 weeks ago, fed in a long metal chick feeder. They don't or can't throw it out and gobble this stuff down, very little dust by the way. My eggs shells are hard in both breeds. This is all a hobby for me, I am going to purchase traditional Bronze (not broad breasted) turkeys next year, may as well, ducks, rabbits, chickens, quail, whats one more flock. Getting ready for retirement in a few years. This will be and is my relaxation therapy. Ha ha
we do sell eggs, and I will sell some dressed rabbits if I have enough. I won't breed the rabbits again until Feb. arthritis in my hands now prevents how many I can dress out at a time and the cold is murder on it. To think 16 years ago I did 50 rabbits at a time. My how time changes everything. Can't cheat father time. I will go until I can't do it anymore. then just have them for the joy of it.

wait until spring, I got my eggs for Stromberg hatchery, very old reliable company. I had 15 unfertile bob white eggs, they had the breeder send replacements for free. You can use any hatchery, for almost any bird you want. Some sell live sexed and straight run. I have an incubator, so hatch my own. Don't start this late in the year, if you can find live teens or adults maybe. Spring allows them to get used to your areas climate gradually. I can send eggs to you if you wish in spring when fertility is good, just pay the shipping. PM me if you want coturnix eggs. I am going to hatch out a bunch for table fare (yum). Bobs are a bit harder to hatch out, and take forever to mature. Coturnix hatch fast, lay at 6 weeks, process at 8 or 9 weeks.

I have a small bunch, get 5 eggs a day, will hatch out a couple large batches, and keep replacement hens, I also have 7 female, and 3 cock Bob whites. If they don't set, may hatch more of those as well. I have them just for the songs and the beauty. Takes to long to mature and to small to bother butchering. My hovabator will hold a lot of quail eggs, The Coturnix hatch so fast, its easy to get a lot in a short time.

I'm having difficulties tagging my quail, their feet are too small to keep the smallest leg bands on. I need something removable, for after they die. I'm thinking small but thick rubber bands would be easily stretched and pulled up to the shoulder of their wings. best if #ed. I thought they had something similar for chickens but only found the wing clips, and I really don't want to punch holes into my birds wings...
Any Ideas?

How do you introduce unrelated adult birds? It seems the fighting is non-stop and they end up killing each other.

House them next to each other for 1-2 weeks, separated by a single layer of wire, then introduce them in an enclosure that is new to all the birds, spacious, has several hiding places and distractions like a dust bath, treats and similar. I've heard it suggested that it's best to introduce new birds at night, but I suspect it could cause boinking if you move them to a new enclosure while they can't see. Anyways, even if you do everything just right, you still need to keep a close eye on them as they could still turn on each other.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom