Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Binki

Thanks for the advice, so far no issues. In your opinion and experience, should I go back to the 18% game bird feed, or ?????. My coturnix quail throw some large eggs at times double yolkers. No large eggs at all from Bobs, at least not yet. I figured, maybe wrongly, that the Bob Whites in particular, being a wild bird (sure act like it from chick to adult) eats mostly insects, fruits and seeds would or could use high protein foods. They don't eat a lot of the game bird feed with the meal worms and millet, and shelled seeds and nuts they get. I am open to advise from anyone that has been raising quail for at least a few years. As a hobbyist, I am still learning, and reading all I can. Learning and improving from my mistakes along the way. Going to expand my Bob population in the spring. I love to hear them, These are just for pleasure, we do eat the eggs. quite fluffy and light colored when scrambled. Very good omelets along with bacon, YUM.

Last edited:
Just a question, my 1st time with theses and I am getting 1 chick to hatch each day. That will be 40 days at this rate, what to do with the hatched birda after 2-3 days????

That's really odd, the hatching rate that is. Move them now to a prepared brooding area, use a heat lamp and give food and water as soon as possible or they WILL die from starvation. Grind your chick starter or whatever else up in a processor or blender, put it in a butter bowl lid or right on the paper. Leave them in the brooder until fluff is gone and they have good feathers. You may still need to keep heat on them so not to shock them if in a cold region like I am. ACT quickly or you will loose your chicks. firestomp

Binki

Thanks for the advice, so far no issues. In your opinion and experience, should I go back to the 18% game bird feed, or ?????. My coturnix quail throw some large eggs at times double yolkers. No large eggs at all from Bobs, at least not yet. I figured, maybe wrongly, that the Bob Whites in particular, being a wild bird (sure act like it from chick to adult) eats mostly insects, fruits and seeds would or could use high protein foods. They don't eat a lot of the game bird feed with the meal worms and millet, and shelled seeds and nuts they get. I am open to advise from anyone that has been raising quail for at least a few years. As a hobbyist, I am still learning, and reading all I can. Learning and improving from my mistakes along the way. Going to expand my Bob population in the spring. I love to hear them, These are just for pleasure, we do eat the eggs. quite fluffy and light colored when scrambled. Very good omelets along with bacon, YUM.

I haven't kept quail for a long time but I have done a lot of research and do have some experience now :) I have my adult birds on game bird layer (22% protein) which is diluted a bit by seeds, banana, blueberries, etc. treats.

If I noted the eggs were too large/incidences of prolapse I would try to get a few percent less rather than further dilute with treats to make sure they're still getting balanced nutrition, if I noticed they were pecking at each other's feathers to eat them/weren't laying as they should I would try laying off the treats and if that didn't improve things I would try a higher percentage of protein.

I'm jealous of your bobwhites :D but I think coturnix are enough for me ^^

Last edited:
I know this thread really isnt for this, but i cannot find standard sized quail hatching eggs anywhere and figured I would reach out on here; Does anyone sell or know of someone who sells standard size quail hatching eggs?

I know stromberg chickens does, but they charge you an arm and a leg for the eggs...

I know this thread really isnt for this, but i cannot find standard sized quail hatching eggs anywhere and figured I would reach out on here; Does anyone sell or know of someone who sells standard size quail hatching eggs?

I know stromberg chickens does, but they charge you an arm and a leg for the eggs...
coturnix quail breeders of America group on facebook. I just ordered from Kansas City Quail. Lots of other sellers on that site too. You can find many varieties and very reasonable prices.

Many breeders offer both standard and jumbo quail eggs. The following Facebook groups are loaded with such suppliers who ship eggs.

Quail Hatching Eggs Page
Backyard Quail
Coturnix Quail Breeders of America
Quail Breeders Unite
United Quail Breeders and Products

May I ask why you are looking specifically for standard size quail eggs vice jumbo?

​Many breeders offer both standard and jumbo quail eggs. The following Facebook groups are loaded with such suppliers who ship eggs.

Quail Hatching Eggs Page
Backyard Quail
Coturnix Quail Breeders of America
Quail Breeders Unite
United Quail Breeders and Products

May I ask why you are looking specifically for standard size quail eggs vice jumbo?

I want to use the birds for dog training and we once used standard smaller size quail in the past and they worked much better for dog training than the jumbo sized.

And thank you very much for the sites!

That makes good sense. The smaller the quail the more easily they flush and are able to fly. My 10+ ounce birds helicopter in slow motion and can achieve 10 foot vertical (very short duration), but even a 15 year old, one-eyed bird dog could catch them.

Back
Top Bottom