Coturnix Quail Behavior

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quaileroo, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Quaileroo

Quaileroo New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum here and just got my first set of quail today. They are about 5 week old Coturnix, and I do not know the genders of the quail. I noticed that when they were settling down to roost 3 of them were huddled up and 1 was left out in the middle of the cage. Is this a social thing or does this mean that the ostracized quail is a male. I am also wondering how to tame them, for when I put my hand in the cage they all run away and refuse any treats such as mealworms. I have also noticed that when I was near they didn't drink any of the water I had put out there. I know I could be overreacting here, but this is my first covey and I would hate to make some sort of fatal error resulting in one of the quails dying. Any answers would be much appreciated

2. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    You might want to take them and dip their beaks into the water so they know where and what it is.

Not sure why the one was left out of the huddle. Watch and see if it happens again.

My quail take treats as long as it's something familiar. Keep offering but also try some in a dish so they can get used to the food item. My quail love greens like kale and collards and will always take those from me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by