Coturnix Quail Cannibalism: LARGE WOUND!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

materum

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Hey everyone, so today my family got me some coturnix quail, but the trip back home was rather long and I think the quail resorted to cannibalism: when I opened the box, a 3 had some of their backs visibly bare, with one suffering from what seems like a pretty bad wound. Right now they seem to be fine now that they have food and water; however, I'm still really worried about the one with the large wound. What should I do? How should I treat it? If you guys want, I can take pictures of the wound!!!! Just please respond ASAP!

Just put some neosporin on it and don't worry.
Quail are tough little buggers. You will need to make sure
you don't have multiple males together or you may get some heavy
fighting.

Should I apply some hydrogen peroxide or something? Also, how long should I expect a wound to heal?

Also, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SUCH A PROMPT REPLY!

Last edited:
No peroxide. Use normal ointment, not the numbing kind if you can.
Seperate out the injured for a few days, to heal.

Alright, no peroxide, got it! Should I try to clean out the wound with some warm water or something, or just go straight for the neosporin?

Ointment, water may just freak the poor thing out worse. If you can get a helper to hold them calm so you can use both hands it may help (I have tiny 4 inch hands). Do you know if it's a male or female that was injured?
Can you post a pic of the bird after? I'm more comfortable treating chickens, but in this case it's similar enough.

Im going to be applying the neosporin to all the birds that have bare backs (in case there are cuts I cant see or something), and I'll be sure to take a picture of them. Also, it was a female, and of the five quail I have, one is male, though I was told by the person we bought them from (my dad's fishing buddy owns the quail farm) that they were too young to start mating, which is why Im thinking its a case of cannibalism induced by the stress of the move and heat.

Ok sounds good, most of the really experianced quail people are on central time, so you ended up with me
wink.png
. By dawn you should have some better answers, but what you've got so far, should get them thru the night.

Waaah! Thank you so much! Thank goodness for late night sleepers LOL

So, I just applied the neosporin to the quail with the open wound (which, during the application of the ointment, we found to be more severe than we thought) and managed to take a few pictures before THE CAMERA DIED ARGH!!! We're charging the batteries right now, after which I'll take pictures of the other wounded birds, just so that if their injury has something I should know about, they can let me know.

Once again, thank you so much!

I'm in Ca, barely midnight here.
big_smile.png

Nikki, Ironsun, or any of a half dozen people will have far better ideas. (I've done alot of chicken/horse/cat triage, but never quail). Heck even Boyd would be handy (it's 3 Am there, so I'm not waking him, even my accent isn't "cute" at 3 AM).

Back
Top Bottom