Coturnix Quail Cannibalism: LARGE WOUND!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Quail injuries like the one you have are very common. Usually back injuries
are from excessive mating. I've never heard of cannibalism causing that.

When they do fight they go for the eyes and head. Quail can be nasty.

As for the wound, just make sure they have plenty of food and water and
monitor them. A vitamin in the water is good and make sure the feed you
are giving them in >20% protein.

I've seen quail survive some pretty nasty things.

I agree completley with PurpleChickens lat bit of advise. I do not believe this was canabalism....I am sure that the quail could become just like chickens can However that sounds like over breeding to me. Overzelous males (or too many males per hens) cause NASTY wounds!!!

I am one that uses no ointment though, they heal amazingly fast on their own. The only reason I don't use neosporin (of any kind) is because even the normal kind killed chicks of mine when I was first starting out...so I avoid them just like I avoid giving antibiotic shots unless necc. I'd rather use a antibotic shot though before I personally would use oinment...basically because just like a cat birds groom themsleves pretty good, and it worries me how much ointment they can injest. People swear by it though so if it works for them wonderful! Do what works for you!
smile.png
Even for the shot though like I said I only use them when necc. and have NOT had to use an antibiotic shot yet on a over bred coturnix (injured and looks like it's not going ot make it) days later the birds eating and healing like a speed demon!
smile.png
Only thing I concern myself with is makign sure no flies are getting to the wound while it heals.
smile.png

This is just what I do, it's not the be all!
smile.png

Hmmmm, perhaps I mis-recalled what the owner said. The wound seems better than yesterday, so I'm going to keep applying neosporin to the one with the open wound. Since the other two who have bare backs arent (so far as I can tell) bleeding, should I still seperate them from the rest? Right now they are still in the cage with the other two, and whenever I check there doesnt seem to be any evidence of foul-play.

Last edited:
Thanks Nikki & PC, I didn't wanna leave him hanging till morning with a hurt bird, but no hands-on pratice with quail yet.

Long Term For The Wound --- Blue Kote, Or The Equivelant. Comes In A Can With A Cotton Ball Dauber, Or In An Aerosol Spray Can--- Its Better To The Bird, Easier On You. You Can Get It From Almost Any Farm Store, Or Tsc If You Have 1 Close By? Wound Coat Is Another Name For It In Different Brand. It Is By Nature Of Its Name, A Blueish/ Paurple Concotion. Contains A Couple Of Good Things That Aid In Wound Healing And Prevent Infection.

Oh Forgot To Meantion It Has A Real Nasty Taste That Helps Prevent Further Picking At The Wnd Site Too, So It Will Be Handy With Your Other Injured Birds....

Just Keep Applying It As Needed Until Feathers Regrow...

Bare backs are pretty common and as long as theirs no wounds I wouldnt worry about them. I have hens in my golden pen that have some bare patches. These are the hens that willingly sit down for the roo almost everytime he walks by her...so eventuallyf eathers get loosened and pulledout with teh roo hoping on and offof her back. Now the ones wiht booboos i'd separate them just to give them time to heal.

Im with Niki on this, just let the quails own body heal itself, it really is amazing what kind of a wound a quail can recover from if it is just put in a pen on its own in order to recover. I have put roosters with large gaping wounds, skull showing on their heads, in a triage pen and they have fully healed after a couple weeks, enough that when i put them back in with some hens they go about their business like nothing happened!!

Quote:
I AGREE WITH NIKI HERE... MOST OF MY GIRLS ARE "TOPLESS" FROM BREEDING AS AT THIS TIME I HAVE PAIRS AND TRIOS SO THE GIRLS GET ALOT OF MILEAGE ON THEM.... EGGS ARE VERY FERTILE THO
smile.png

Okay, so based off what many people have said on this topic, I decided I was not going to reapply neosporin on the quail and just let them heal naturally. However, when I was checking the wound today to see if there was progress, I wasnt really sure if what I was seeing was a good sign or a bad one. Since Im completely new to quail raising, I decided to take some pictures of the wound's progress after a day and post them online to get the opinion of more experienced quail owners (that's you guys). Please let me know if what I see indicates healing or something far more sinister
sad.png

35173_dscf3161.jpg

35173_dscf3162.jpg

35173_dscf3163.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom