Coturnix Quail Eggs!! (Hatched)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HoneyNutmeg, Nov 5, 2012.

1. HoneyNutmeg

HoneyNutmeg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Australia
    Any coturnix experts out there? I need your help!
    I have 3 coturnix quail eggs in my incubator and they are on day 19.
    Last night I heard alot of tapping going on yesterday when I turned off the fan to hear them (real noisy fan, can't hear anything over it) and they have broken the air pocket (chirping a bit).
    I've grown close to the eggs, I know how dumb that sounds, but I hate seeing animals dying for no reason [​IMG]
    There has been a drop in temperature during incubation, could this contribute to their slow hatching? If they are going to hatch at all. I know that you shouldn't at all intervene, and I won't. I thought that they were going to hatch 2 days ago, but I read somewhere that quail have a tendency to syncronise their hatching times, so they all hatch together..
    Could this be the case?
    So my question is, if I hear tapping, when will an external pip be seen? I read from 1-3 days, but I'm unsure that is the case in quails.
    Please help, it would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. hi i had the same problem, i had 3 pip the egg but died in the egg , maybe do a water test to see if still alive in there. i did a water test and found that 3 eggs were good the last 20 eggs were no good at all. im only a newbie as well. good luck.

3. HoneyNutmeg

Oct 22, 2012
    Australia
    Thank you :) They are still tapping, well 2 are, I'll give them till tonight, fingers crossed I get some pips! [​IMG]

4. CuriousQuail

CuriousQuail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Newbie here but I've read assisting can save them in some instances, if they are too tired to keep pushing through/way overdue. For whatever reasons they're not strong enough to push out you could assist them. There's a lady with a youtube video and there's a few threads here about assisting chicks.

If they're alive and kicking but overdue I would give them a little longer. If the tapping gets weaker... I'd personally want to assist. But that's my choice. You have to make that choice yourself.

5. HoneyNutmeg

Oct 22, 2012
    Australia
    I don't know whether I want to intervene on one of the eggs, maybe I'll wait a bit longer.
    The tapping hasn't got weaker it's gotten stronger I think, one is definately trying to get through.

6. HoneyNutmeg

Oct 22, 2012
    Australia
    One of the eggs has a pip and it's wiggling!!! Woo!

Update: 2 of the eggs are wiggling now, they must of syncronised!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  7. CuriousQuail

CuriousQuail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Ahhh you got me all excited now. I hope they all hatch for you!

:) Where'd you source the eggs from? I've had poor luck recently. First hatch went bad for some reason. 2nd set of eggs were almost completely infertile - it's terrible. Finally found a local who had some of the type I want and now I'll keep my fingers crossed for those.

My new incubator has a tendency to change temps too : |

Beginning to think I should've forked out the money for a hovabator...

8. HoneyNutmeg

Oct 22, 2012
    Australia
    I was working at an animal nursery for my local show and the owner had her quail in one of the large cages and they were mating 24/7, so I assumed that they were fertile. Obviously they are!
    Sorry to hear about your eggs, I hope you get some good ones!
    I'm planning on saving up for a hovabator, or a incubator that is good quality, instead of my silly homemade one :s

9. HoneyNutmeg

Oct 22, 2012
    Australia
    2 out of 3 have hatched, and the 3rd one is wiggling I think :) Post pictures soon.
    Got the first hatch on videoo, eeek they're adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by