Coturnix Quail Eggs!! (Hatched)

HoneyNutmeg

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Australia
Any coturnix experts out there? I need your help!
I have 3 coturnix quail eggs in my incubator and they are on day 19.
Last night I heard alot of tapping going on yesterday when I turned off the fan to hear them (real noisy fan, can't hear anything over it) and they have broken the air pocket (chirping a bit).
I've grown close to the eggs, I know how dumb that sounds, but I hate seeing animals dying for no reason
hmm.png

There has been a drop in temperature during incubation, could this contribute to their slow hatching? If they are going to hatch at all. I know that you shouldn't at all intervene, and I won't. I thought that they were going to hatch 2 days ago, but I read somewhere that quail have a tendency to syncronise their hatching times, so they all hatch together..
Could this be the case?
So my question is, if I hear tapping, when will an external pip be seen? I read from 1-3 days, but I'm unsure that is the case in quails.
Please help, it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Newbie here but I've read assisting can save them in some instances, if they are too tired to keep pushing through/way overdue. For whatever reasons they're not strong enough to push out you could assist them. There's a lady with a youtube video and there's a few threads here about assisting chicks.

If they're alive and kicking but overdue I would give them a little longer. If the tapping gets weaker... I'd personally want to assist. But that's my choice. You have to make that choice yourself.

I don't know whether I want to intervene on one of the eggs, maybe I'll wait a bit longer.
The tapping hasn't got weaker it's gotten stronger I think, one is definately trying to get through.

One of the eggs has a pip and it's wiggling!!! Woo!

Update: 2 of the eggs are wiggling now, they must of syncronised!

Last edited:
Ahhh you got me all excited now. I hope they all hatch for you!

:) Where'd you source the eggs from? I've had poor luck recently. First hatch went bad for some reason. 2nd set of eggs were almost completely infertile - it's terrible. Finally found a local who had some of the type I want and now I'll keep my fingers crossed for those.

My new incubator has a tendency to change temps too : |

Beginning to think I should've forked out the money for a hovabator...

I was working at an animal nursery for my local show and the owner had her quail in one of the large cages and they were mating 24/7, so I assumed that they were fertile. Obviously they are!
Sorry to hear about your eggs, I hope you get some good ones!
I'm planning on saving up for a hovabator, or a incubator that is good quality, instead of my silly homemade one :s

2 out of 3 have hatched, and the 3rd one is wiggling I think :) Post pictures soon.
Got the first hatch on videoo, eeek they're adorable!

Back
Top Bottom