coturnix quail hens stopped laying after moving to their new home...

That is all the problem , they are doing nothing but protesting ( for a while in most cases)! I have nearly 100 breading pairs of pure inbreed coturnix coturnix and I know that it always happen when theres a change of place...

Last edited:
I added new hiding place to replace old cardboard ones, put the new in the same spot as the old and all, and still had my birds quit laying on me too. And they've had everything else stable.
Even with that slight change we're just now getting two eggs a day from our four girls after a four day egg strike!
roll.png
The thing that has me annoyed with them about it is we're back down to "first lay" sized eggs with the restart too, I had just got 18g eggs a few times and now we've got 9-10g coming in again.
Ah well, birds will be birds.
Cheers,
Jessie

but how long about? because i bought new quail and its been around mehh 2-4 days now and they live outside still no eggs :(

but how long about? because i bought new quail and its been around mehh 2-4 days now and they live outside still no eggs :(
It will vary. Again the questions go to, are all the conditions right?
14+ hours of light? 24-30% protein food? Calcium on the side? Do they generally feel safe? Also how old and what species are the quail? Cots may take as late as 9 weeks to start laying, bobs or other types will not lay til the following spring if they hit six months too late in the season I've read.
Give them as ideal conditions as you can and try to be patient. They'll start as soon as you stop thinking about it.
Good luck!
Jessie

I don't know I move mine around depending on the weather and they still lay every day. When it gets really hot I move them into a seperate cage inside.

Back
Top Bottom