Coturnix quail in pain?

Those toes look very swollen and dirty. I suspect bumblefoot. Start by putting her in a shallow dish with an epsom salt bath. The water should be warm (quail body temp or a bit warmer). Once her feet are clean you'll have a better idea of what you're looking at.

Those toes look very swollen and dirty. I suspect bumblefoot. Start by putting her in a shallow dish with an epsom salt bath. The water should be warm (quail body temp or a bit warmer). Once her feet are clean you'll have a better idea of what you're looking at.
I soaked her feet for as long as she’d let me (5 mins). Gonna try again tomorrow. Her toes are all twisty and bulbous, and one can bend all the way back under her foot. I don’t think that’s good…

I soaked her feet for as long as she’d let me (5 mins). Gonna try again tomorrow. Her toes are all twisty and bulbous, and one can bend all the way back under her foot. I don’t think that’s good…
5 minutes isn't good enough. Get a container that she fits in and fill it about 2-3cm in the epsom salt bath. Leave her in there for about 20 minutes.

Oh, and clean the cage so her feet don't get so dirty. A small wound getting infected by walking in poop is what causes bumblefoot.

5 minutes isn't good enough. Get a container that she fits in and fill it about 2-3cm in the epsom salt bath. Leave her in there for about 20 minutes.

Oh, and clean the cage so her feet don't get so dirty. A small wound getting infected by walking in poop is what causes bumblefoot.
Yeah I know, I’m gonna try for longer tomorrow.

I clean the cage every few days to the best of my ability, I think this is something she came with.

is there anything I can do to help her?

Yeah I know, I’m gonna try for longer tomorrow.

I clean the cage every few days to the best of my ability, I think this is something she came with.

is there anything I can do to help her?
Get the feet clean and look for scabs. Once they've soaked, they get soft and can be removed. That will start her healing as long as her feet are kept clean. You may need to soak her feet a few times.

Get the feet clean and look for scabs. Once they've soaked, they get soft and can be removed. That will start her healing as long as her feet are kept clean. You may need to soak her feet a few times.
i'll do that tonight, thank you. does it need to drain like an abscess at all or anything?

Back
Top Bottom