Coturnix quail in pain?

magic21696

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 17, 2010
One of my female quail looks like she has an egg stuck in her butt and her butt is poised up looking like shes trying to get it out. Is there anything I can do to help?

Take her into the bathroom and run the shower to get it hot and steamy in their. Leave her for a couple of hours and the egg may have passed. If this doesn't help and you can see the tip of the egg you can try breaking it and pulling it out bit by bit, but try the first method to start with.

How is she doing? I have been lucky. I usually reach into the cage and move things around and they start running around, dropping eggs. I think it scares it right out of them.

If that didn't work, I might try bringing her into an inside cage for the night. Puttig her butt in warm water (have fun holding her there) or using a warm wet cloth, or like Robo said use a dropper to swish some water down there. But then she has to stay in all night till totally dry.

No, I woundn't break it either. I just don't have that much experience for that and never will.

vaseline with a q-tip comes to mind.

Last edited:
Breaking the egg and gently pulling it out is the method for chickens. You break a hole in the tip that is exposed and epty the egg's contents and then gently pull the egg out small peices at a time until it has been completly removed. It only works when the egg is exposed outside the vent. I had to do this with a serama hen last year.

the steamy bathroom works like a charm. and then you don't have a wet quail to worry about.

Don't use a q-tip and vasceline. It can cause the egg to get stuck even worse.

Last edited:
Quote:
EXACTLY! QUAIL ARENT CHICKENS... SHE WILL LACERATE HER INSIDES AND BLEED TO DEATH... BEEN WAY MORE THAN 1 POSTING ON HERE THAT COVERS IT AND THEY ALL END UP BAD. I KNOW THE CHICKEN TRICK AND IT DOES WORK ON THEM... BUT ITS BAD MOJO HERE ON GAMEBIRDS! VASELINE IS BAD ANYWHERE--- PETROLIUM BASE... NOT GOOD. KY JELLY IS OK BUT USUALLY DOESNT HELP THE EGG PASS. THE STEAM TREATMENT IS GOOD, AS IS A LONG SOAK IN WAIST DEEP WARM( ABOUT 95-100 DEGREES) WATER

Well the good news is that it finally came out but now the vent area looks swollen and shes still limping and weak
hmm.png

Good. I hope it was a big egg.

Weather is stressing them. I would give them some vitamin in their water. I use Enfamil's Poly Vi Sol (Walmat Pharmacy area) .5ml per quart of water. They need to drink to keep hydrated in this cold.

my quail has been acting similar for a day or two, but shes limping and has a screwed up foot. shes never laid for me so idk whats up with her. help?

Back
Top Bottom