Help! Possibly hurt quail!

TheQuailKid

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2024
Hello!
I have two coturnix quail, male and female, and I noticed that as they were mating, the head of the female balded a little. I can back from vacation to find her neck starting to lose feathers. Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_2692.jpeg
    IMG_2692.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 14
This is the first stage of overbreeding. One female is not enough for one male. He needs at least three, preferably five or more.

If he continues to overbreed her, he will start to draw blood, eventually scalp her, and possibly kill her.

This is the first stage of overbreeding. One female is not enough for one male. He needs at least three, preferably five or more.

If he continues to overbreed her, he will start to draw blood, eventually scalp her, and possibly kill her.
Anything that can be recommended besides rehoming/adding female? Or is that the only option?

Anything that can be recommended besides rehoming/adding female? Or is that the only option?
There really aren't any other good options. Quail are social, so you need to keep more than one, but if you have a male, he needs a harem. You could probably get away with only two if they are both male or both female.

I know that you've spent a lot of time with your quail and want to keep them, but maybe it's time to think about what's best for them.

Back
Top Bottom