Coturnix Quail leg band size?

Dandichook

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
North Florida
Hi everyone!

Question--does anyone here use leg bands on your coturnix Quail? What sizes do you use?

I've seen it said that 7mm is the right size for coturnix, and I can find unlabeled ones online, but I want those clip-on plastic style ones with serial numbers so that I can track specific birds for breeding purposes. Those appear to only be available in 5mm or smaller or 8mm or larger sizes.

My fundamental question is, would it work to get 8mm bands for these guys? Would they fall off?

If the 8mm definitely won't work, then does anyone have a source where I can buy the 7mm size?

Thanks!

Nabiki, thanks for letting me know! I was worried the 8mm would be so big it would fall off. Big relief!

I was thinking I would want 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm for growth stages. Do you find those work well for chicks?
I forgot where I got them from, but I tried tiny little bands on the chicks. They were kind of like springs, so they expanded some. The only problem as, even the tiniest ones just fell off of the chicks. I keep groups of chicks in separate brooders and band them when they're adults.

Ok, thank you! I think I'll skip the smaller sized plastic bands entirely. I can't find them anywhere domestically for less than $20 a pack, which is twice the price for the adult bands. They're proud of them and I'd hate to spend so much only for them to fall off. Having multiple brooders should work fine.

I sometimes still find 8mm rings in the bottom of my cages, I only ring adults because earlier they just kinda go ‘ta daaa’ and the ring falls off, but it occasionally happens with the adults smh

I forgot where I got them from, but I tried tiny little bands on the chicks. They were kind of like springs, so they expanded some. The only problem as, even the tiniest ones just fell off of the chicks. I keep groups of chicks in separate brooders and band them when they're adults.
You can buy the tiniest little bands that orthodontists use, I bought some on Amazon. You need to remember to remove them, the larger sized ones will stretch enough as they grow, and then just fall off after being worn for a while, but these won’t stretch as far, and I missed one on a chick once and it started to get a little cut in the front of the leg.
https://smile.amazon.com/JMU-Orthodontic-Elastics-Intraoral-Elastic/dp/B08NCQZFRM

I have even used them on buttons, and they’re less reliable, but stayed on pretty well, I use needle nose pliers to put them on, they’re so tiny.

After that I move up to these:
https://smile.amazon.com/Chicken-Hill-Baby-Poultry-Bands/dp/B07BLMWX9N

Suez1uk,
Oh no! Lol, well hopefully the 8mm work okay. If not I guess I'll see what I can do!!

Floorcandy,
Good idea! I'll look into that. I don't mind using color coded bands for identifying chicks. I'd like the numbered tags once they're older but the little rubber bands sound pretty good. I plan to be handling them enough as chicks that I'll be able to check the fit often enough that I think I can catch it before they outgrow them.

How hard is it to get them on and off of coturnix quail chicks? Do the chicks fight you on it?

Suez1uk,
Oh no! Lol, well hopefully the 8mm work okay. If not I guess I'll see what I can do!!

Floorcandy,
Good idea! I'll look into that. I don't mind using color coded bands for identifying chicks. I'd like the numbered tags once they're older but the little rubber bands sound pretty good. I plan to be handling them enough as chicks that I'll be able to check the fit often enough that I think I can catch it before they outgrow them.

How hard is it to get them on and off of coturnix quail chicks? Do the chicks fight you on it?
The chicks generally aren’t happy being manhandled, and I use needle nose plyers. It makes it easier to just slip them on quickly, my fingers are so fat compared to the tiny rubber bands, it’s easy to lose hold of the band and it snaps too hard or they flail hard and break a leg. My plyers are spring loaded so you put the band on, squeeze the handles, pick up bird, insert leg into band and release the plyer tension, and you give it a little wiggle/turn to dislodge the band from the plyers (like an orthodontist does), and you’re done in like 3 seconds.

They can fight a little but usually settle, as I am sure you know they launch on any surface their little feet can reach. Took me a few times to get the knack of having the leg extend long enough to band!

Back
Top Bottom