1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix quail mating season.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quails-101, Mar 19, 2017.

1. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    I breed my own quail but I started later in the year around may and sell them but this year a lot of people want quail chicks so should it be quail breeding season I see foam poo again and hear him calling but don't see him doing anything. I also cracked open a couple eggs and there was a white dot in the yolk.

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    You need to see a ring around that white dot and looking at a picture is the best way to compare so here's one I found:

[​IMG]

And yes, your boy will be active again when you hear him crowing. It's day length that affects them, rather than temperature, so if you supplement their light you can bring on the breeding season a little earlier, or be patient and let nature take its course. If you do supplement their light have it set to turn on earlier in the morning, then let them have a natural sunset and bedtime at the other end of the day.

3. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Ok thanks, they have a heat lamp on all night since it still gets cold here at night. Ill check the eggs again to see that ring like the picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by