Coturnix Quail Pics added - M or F ??????

Niki's got it covered...
wink.png

big_smile.png

I've got a really dumb question......... being colorblind is normal to me, and I am still squeemish about squeezing a gland in an area that I might get pooped on.... so here's my question!

When they are chicks, can you look at the wings and determine sex like you can with chickens?

Quote:
lol the foam isnt too bad and you can get pooed or puked on by coturnix just by holdin them so get over bein squeemish now or they'll decensitize you over time anyhow
lau.gif

as for the wing sexing thing, nope sorry. Also that's a misconception in chickens. You can only tell the sex of sexlink chickens by their wings, not every breed i wish you could though that'd be nice! LOL!

Quote:
lol the foam isnt too bad and you can get pooed or puked on by coturnix just by holdin them so get over bein squeemish now or they'll decensitize you over time anyhow
lau.gif

as for the wing sexing thing, nope sorry. Also that's a misconception in chickens. You can only tell the sex of sexlink chickens by their wings, not every breed i wish you could though that'd be nice! LOL!

Niki, wanna roadtrip up here and help me sex mine LOL
barnie.gif

Sigh, well I will do it tomorrow. Since I murdered my last hatch, I found a breeder in Milan and was able to pick up a dozen. 4 roos and 8 hens. It was soooooooooo fun seeing a thousand quail happily breeding and singing!!! He did show me which was which when he put them in my moving crate but.............

Quote:
lau.gif

Niki, wanna roadtrip up here and help me sex mine LOL
barnie.gif

Sigh, well I will do it tomorrow. Since I murdered my last hatch, I found a breeder in Milan and was able to pick up a dozen. 4 roos and 8 hens. It was soooooooooo fun seeing a thousand quail happily breeding and singing!!! He did show me which was which when he put them in my moving crate but.............

haha if i had the money SURE i'd come up and help ya that'd be fun! LOL! About the foam though, just keep this in mind, you dont have to express the foam to know if they are roo or not. If you flip them over and their vent is swollen (very bad swollen) that's a roo
smile.png
ANd if you wanan be sure sure, put on rubber gloves and just press on the swollen area like you're pressing a button, and out should come foam.
big_smile.png
LOL

I'll post pics in the AM
smile.png
my son is almost 9 and has skipped my recessive gene and can see colors better so I shall have him help me out.

I've still got like 40 eggs in bator, gonna buy some chicks from Miss Jayne, and going to get more eggs from SamG at end of month so................ NIKI, all your fault, I am coturnix obsessed too!

Quote:
GOOD I'm glad you are! LOL!
celebrate.gif
*my evil goal* LOL!

Yeppers have your son help ya, I'm so color genetic freakish, that I'd be so upset if I had trouble telling colors.
sad.png
I'm sorry you deal with that!
hugs.gif

I did find that most of mine were males - I still have a few that i am guessing on - but I sent 11 babies to the zoo today to live in one of the LARGE flight pens where they will be well cared for and looked after for the rest of thier little quail lives - I might have to add a few more later to balance out the M and Fs

I kept one male that has been crowing his fool head off for about a week now.

I also have 3-4 that have no rust color and LOTS of spots
I have the white one for now until I figure M or F - if its a Male I will send it to the bigger flock at the zoo - so far it has not being crowing and they are only 5 weeks so no eggs yet.

I also kept my little chick with the bent neck - also no crowing or eggs from that one either.

I still need to know if that bent neck will be alright in my breeding pen ? or will the neck thing pass on to chicks ? I dont want to seperate him/her - it does fine living with in the flock the others dont bully it and it eats and gets around fine.

Quote:
LOL you need to read my posts girl im telling you right in each post i post the info you need.

You probably should not put him in your breeding pen. He probably wont be able to breed hte hens anyhow as the roos need to hold the hens still with their beak and neck extended. But if he somehow does sucessfully bred he may pass on the bad genetics if it is genetics.

Back
Top Bottom