Coturnix quail stuck on its side - help!

EmHen87

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
Hello,

I had a quail hatch just before Halloween. There are 16 and all appear healthy and happy. Going into the brooder one day, I noticed one who is stuck in its side. She doesn’t move well kind of scoots. Her legs are just stuck straight out. They move. She just doesn’t walk on them or use them other than kicking while she scoots.

I moved her out. She’s eating and drinking. Added nutri Drench to her water. Poop seems normal. She’s just stuck. If I prop her up it’s almost like she teeters forward and falls to her side.

Any thoughts? Everyone else is just fine.

Can you post pictures?
CC042624-6FAE-4A4C-8CF7-5A15A7A22F73.jpeg

I can take a few more. Right now I’ve moved her into a box away from the others. The others have moved out to the aviary.

They were in a large rabbit hutch. From 2 days old to just a few days ago. They had a heat plate when needed. They had fresh water several times a day and a high protein game bird feed from a local ranch.

Is she very under weight? I had a bird that was being bullied away from the food, and she ended up like this. I hand fed her for several weeks and she would start to get better, then relapse.

If she's eating, drinking, and pooping normally, I'd give her a few days to improve. If there's no improvement in a few days, you need to make the decision of taking her to a vet or culling her.

She is thinner since the injury or whatever has happened. But otherwise was similar in size to her hatch mates. Is there other vitamin or items I can try to add in? I took a video but realize I can’t post that here.

She is thinner since the injury or whatever has happened. But otherwise was similar in size to her hatch mates. Is there other vitamin or items I can try to add in? I took a video but realize I can’t post that here.
I'm guessing that this is injury or a good issue. I'm not a vet and I m not there, so I could be wrong.

Nutri-Drench is a good energy boost. As long as she's getting a balanced feed, she shouldn't need anything else. A vet could tell you more, since they will be able to actually examine her.

Back
Top Bottom