Coturnix Quail - temperature tolerance

karthigan

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 27, 2013
I live in Houston and I have 6 month old Coturnix quails. I have them in a bird cage nicely covered up. When the temperature falls below 40F, I move them from outside and keep them in the garage until the weather warms up a little.

I would like to know what temperatures Coturnix quails can tolerate outside as long as they are shielded from the wind. Please advise.

They can tolerate incredibly cold temps as long as they are completely out of all wind, snow and rain. Their feet need to stay warm at all times. Quail lose heat thru their feet, so bedding is always advised if they are kept on wire. All this being said, they can take down below zero before any heat is needed if housed properly. :)

This certainly helps. My cage is all wire. What kind of bedding would you recommend?

Best Regards,
Karthigan

For wire, grass hay, straw or some sort of hay will stay put on wire floors. You could always put in a temp false floor by laying down a piece of ply wood and cover it with shavings as well. Just something they can snuggle into and keep their feet warm. :)

Hi guys, I remember looking for informations about coturnix quails cold tolerance before getting some and not being able to find much so I thought I would share this. I have 5 quails total ( three 7 months old and two 5 months old). They live outside on my balcony in a big aviary. I am from Montréal, Canada and it gets reallllly cold here. We are stuck in an extreme cold strike right now and yesterday went down to -31C which is -23F (felt like -40C or -40F) The quails did fine. They didn't seem to use the heat lamp or go in the little heated house. I feel like they could survive to anything.
I feel really bad for my poor little things being in that situation and i can't wait for the temperature to come back to normal (i've been obsessed and checking on them 15 times per day.). They also still lay eggs everyday :O (which crack if I don't get them in following 45 min).
Here is a pic of my set up. I put thick plastic all around to prevent cold draft, wind or snow in the pen. The layer of bedding is now 4'' deep. I also added a heat lamp which is not on the picture.
Hope this information helps.

If your quail are on wire you can put some boxes or baskets full of shavings, straw, dried grass or whatever bedding you have available. I tie the boxes and baskets to the wire sides with double sided velcro to keep them from turning them over. When it's good and cold out several of them will hang out in the same shelter together. The hens will tend to lay their eggs in the bedding which makes it easy to find them.

To lovely quail. Is your porch closed up or can the quail free roam outside of your porch? I'm curious to know. I have quail in a cage because I fear them flying away. I just adore them. I'd prefer to have them free.

I bought 2 pair. 3 died and it was only in the mid 50s and i noticed the last one shivering! I brought her inside and put her in a bird cage and she's turned into a cute pet! But I'd like to raise some but they seemed temperature sensitive! They were in a commercial chicken house like you get at Tractor Supply and I assumed you could just raise them like chickens. Apparently not. I'm still not sure how to keep them!

Back
Top Bottom