Coturnix Quail - The Good and The Bad

Quote:
If they do they'll be separated
smile.png
I watch them daily like im bird watching. I need a chair up there so I can actually SIT and watch them though this standing stuff or kneeling stuff isn't so fun or comfy.
smile.png

I removed the button adult pair. Two of the coturnix hens decided they didnt like them. So out they went back in their own cage. So much for the warmth idea.
smile.png
No injuries just about 4 feathers pulled off.
The fun part was trying to catch the two skiddish boogers, and then the male got out of my hands so i had to chase him through the woods AGAIN! Thank Gosh I wing clip! LOL!

So that's that, no more intros without proper introduction and to be safe no more buttons in with coturnix...tho Pippin (my hactched male bq) is stil in with his buds the coturnix he's likeone of the fam to them...however he's not going to stay in there with them forever...to spring perferably, but if before then back inthe house to stay warm.

I still thnk that early intros and changing around brooders is whats keeping my whole hutch of birds content. No spats inbetween them yet, but when there is you betcha they won't be staying together. I plan to have one male to 3 hens.

Wow! Well, this topic gives me pause. I have been thinking about culling all of my guineas and getting some quail in the spring. I have a lot to learn about them, and I cant believe they did that MP!!! Guess I have some reading to do before making my decision.

Last edited:
Yep, they will go into the freezer, and maybe one will go right into the oven. I think they are really cool, but they keep dissapearing on me, or turning up dead. Oh, and they are molesting my hens like you wouldnt believe...
hmm.png
Plus I hear they taste really really good!!

In my small quail experiment (with button quail), I determined 1. that they can be super nasty-much more so than chickens, and 2. that I never want them again! Good luck with them Miss P.
smile.png

The guinea hens lay awesome eggs. How old are yours? Leave the hens if you have any. I am getting alot of egg right now since my hen decided to nest.
smile.png

I had one hen out of 10 guineas. She was one of the first to go MIA. So now I have three guys that like to gang up on the laying hens. I was really looking forward to the eggs that I have heard so many good things about, but alas, it was not to be. I was esp. bummed because I followed all the advice in Gardening With Guineas as to rearing them so that they would roost in the coop. More than half of them still roosted outside. Oh well, its all a learning curve. I havent given up on guineas completely, but I dont think I want to overwinter the three that I have right now... and quail eggs sound pretty darn fun
big_smile.png
Guess there is no reason why I cant have guineas AND quail, right?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom