Coturnix Quail Troubles

beescoturnix

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2021
Hello! I am a first time quail owner.
Backstory:
I have 5 coturnix Quails (pets!), one male and four females. My one male is so OBSESSED with this one female. I have tried everything, separating her and then reintroducing her after a week (didn’t work). Adding three more females (I used to have just her), didn’t work, Rooster Booster Pick-no-more (worked for a couple hours), and lastly a HUGE cage upgrade, they used to be in a small rabbit hutch and they are now in a 14 square foot diy two story cage. The cage upgrade worked for about 2 days… now he is back to chasing her all the time.
I feel so bad for her and I’m at a loss. I just now separated the two stories and put her on the top with one other girl. She’s panting like crazy and seems so tired.
The other girls don’t seem to mind him at all. The other three ladies have sparse neck feathers but this one girl is just completely bald.

Here are the options I’ve come up with:
1: Rehome the male. My concerns with this is that the girls may start fighting, as I would like to introduce two more females into my group at some point. I’ve read this intro would not go smoothly with all females. Also I worry that the females that don’t mind him would be sad.
2: Rehome the one female. My concerns with this is that the male would just pick a new girl to bully.

I know someplace that might take the male or female. If anyone has some more ideas/advice I’d love the hear! Sorry for the long post

Backstory:
I have 5 coturnix Quails (pets!), one male and four females. My one male is so OBSESSED with this one female. I have tried everything, separating her and then reintroducing her after a week (didn’t work). Adding three more females (I used to have just her), didn’t work, Rooster Booster Pick-no-more (worked for a couple hours), and lastly a HUGE cage upgrade, they used to be in a small rabbit hutch and they are now in a 14 square foot diy two story cage. The cage upgrade worked for about 2 days… now he is back to chasing her all the time.
I feel so bad for her and I’m at a loss. I just now separated the two stories and put her on the top with one other girl. She’s panting like crazy and seems so tired.
The other girls don’t seem to mind him at all. The other three ladies have sparse neck feathers but this one girl is just completely bald.

1: Rehome the male. My concerns with this is that the girls may start fighting, as I would like to introduce two more females into my group at some point. I’ve read this intro would not go smoothly with all females. Also I worry that the females that don’t mind him would be sad.
2: Rehome the one female. My concerns with this is that the male would just pick a new girl to bully.

I know someplace that might take the male or female. If anyone has some more ideas/advice I’d love the hear! Sorry for the long post
Have you tried removing all of them, spraying cage and quail with a bit of vinegar, rearranging cage including hideaways for them and then re-introducing together?????

How many hiding places do they have? Hiding places should have two openings so a bird can't get trapped inside.

I would rehome the male. Introductions will be about the same with or without him. Some birds get along, others don't. I've found that if you take all of the birds out and rearrange their pen, when you put all of the birds in, it's all new, so they get along better with the newbies.

How many hiding places do they have? Hiding places should have two openings so a bird can't get trapped inside.

I would rehome the male. Introductions will be about the same with or without him. Some birds get along, others don't. I've found that if you take all of the birds out and rearrange their pen, when you put all of the birds in, it's all new, so they get along better with the newbies.
Thanks for the reply! They have only have a nesting ‘box’ that’s about 2x2 feet, it’s has two entrances/exits. Do you have any hide recommendation for ones I can order?

Have you tried removing all of them, spraying cage and quail with a bit of vinegar, rearranging cage including hideaways for them and then re-introducing together?????
I haven’t tried with vinegar, but when I did remove her for a week I super cleaned and re-arranged their hutch 🤔 I might go ahead and try the vinegar though.

Thanks for the reply! They have only have a nesting ‘box’ that’s about 2x2 feet, it’s has two entrances/exits. Do you have any hide recommendation for ones I can order?
You can use almost anything as hiding places. Turn a small box upside down, cut a couple of holes in it. Buy a couple dollar store baskets and cut holes in them. They'll like them.
0913201015.jpg

Backstory:

Here's a quick fix... It'll distract all of them and may solve your problem.. Add a decent sized Mirror to the inside of cage.. It'll fool them into thinkn they have more buddys with em.. They will covey around it at times too..

Back
Top Bottom