Coturnix Quail

2boys1homestead

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Pewamo, MI
Hello All,

So I'm busy building my own incubator, brooder and quail pen. I'll be ordering the quail eggs in soon.

I had a couple of questions.

1. Do adult quail need heat lamps to keep them laying in the winter? I'm already going to give them 14hrs of light a day to keep them laying, but I want to make sure they aren't frozen. Also, can those eggs, at winter temps (michigan) in a garage still be incubated? Or will they be no good to hatch?

2. Does anyone have a copy of "Coturnix Revolution" they would sell me or that they don't want? I can't afford the $70 price tag on it unfortunately, but I want to get it.

3. Tell me about your coturnix quail experiences! I want to hear them. It will help me out!

Ben

Hello All,

So I'm busy building my own incubator, brooder and quail pen. I'll be ordering the quail eggs in soon.

I had a couple of questions.

1. Do adult quail need heat lamps to keep them laying in the winter? I'm already going to give them 14hrs of light a day to keep them laying, but I want to make sure they aren't frozen. Also, can those eggs, at winter temps (michigan) in a garage still be incubated? Or will they be no good to hatch?

Heat lamps are a big no no. They won't grow down feathers to keep them warm in cold climates if they are given a heat lamp. then if your power goes out or the bulb or fixture burns out the birds will die.

If you can get to the eggs quickly enough before they freeze then they should still be viable.

2. Does anyone have a copy of "Coturnix Revolution" they would sell me or that they don't want? I can't afford the $70 price tag on it unfortunately, but I want to get it.

Instead of wasting the money just search Alexandra's posts on BYC. She was a member here for years and most of what you'll find in her book is discussed here on BYC. Her user name was Stellar and before that it was quail lady of fort myers or some such.

3. Tell me about your coturnix quail experiences! I want to hear them. It will help me out!

Ben

I wanted to ask as well, what are their protien needs? As chicks and as adults?

I see some people say 20% and others say 30%....that's a big difference.

Grit, no, unless you are feeding them something besides crumble. Crumble is water soluble and all they really need to get by is a good game bird food and water. The feed will have infused calcium. Let your birds start laying and if you notice any thin shells then add oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom