Coturnix Quail...

UrbanMama

Gone Country....
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Massachusetts
I said I wasn't going to do this....but I'm jumping on the quail bandwagon
celebrate.gif
I got sucked in by the buttons ... now I want there big brothers!

I read the awesome thread by Monarc23 on the Coturnix, but are any of the color variations of more docile or easier to raise than others?

Last edited:
I find all Coturnix to be pretty docile. It really depends on the bird rather than the color mutation. Also Gambel Quail are more eye candy than anything. Like i said before it depends on the bird but Gambel and Valley quail are very nervous and do not like being held. They require larger housing the Coturnix or Buttons.....and I would just RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH before deciding to buy.
Good Luck!
smile.png

Sorry Sam...I just re-wrote that post...I was researching the Gambel's and found just what you said! I'm going to steer clear of them and stick with the coturnix for now.

So with the coturnix it's more what size or color than temperament?

Last edited:
Quote:
I find that all of my quail no matter their color (coturnix) are sweet. However, my A &MS will do just about anything for food, they are savages (lovingly called ha ha)! I assume it's because of thier genetic strain that they just NEED food hence why they get so big. I find that jumbos I fall in love with more easily though, however this is just me.
smile.png
If i had to say....they're all pretty much teh same in temperment no matter jumbo or normal size and nope color doesnt seem to play a rule at all. THOUGH!......this is jUSt my observation, my tibes (tibetan aka british ranges) seem rather skiddish. And if i recall correctly i read somewhere that this is why tibes are used most for dog training. Because of their skiddish temperments.

by the way thank you for apprecating my post!
big_smile.png

I love our coturnix Quails but once in a while there are bullies between them. They pick on other Quail so bad that it's start bleeding. We seperate them and cull them. They taste really good on the grill.
To keep the harmony in the group you have to do this some times.
I think it's just like with people. They are all are born nice but once in a while their is one that 's different from the rest.
Good luck and Merry christmas and a Happy new Year
frow.gif

All of mine are sweet, except Psycho. He's a little jerk and if he doesn't shape up, I am going to process him. I have mine all paired, and all of the roos are sweet to their mates, bring them bugs and treats, sleep cuddled with them - not Psycho. He beats up on his mate and drew blood today. He also charges me and tries to peck me when I reach in the cage, but I just swat him away.
tongue.png

I got most of mine as adults who'd never been handled, and they're still sweet. The ones I got as fledgelings are super sweet and coo like doves when they hear me talking to them, and will come running to cuddle under my hand like they did when I first brought them home.

I'm hoping that, now that they're paired and not trio'd, I can get one of the females to set. So far, no dice, though three of my girls are laying 2 eggs a day.

The eggs are yummy. I have no idea how the birds themselves taste, but imagine they'd also be good. Not Psycho, though. I'm pretty sure that if I process him, he's going to be cat food. He's such a wretch, I can't imagine he's anything but tough and bitter.
tongue.png

-Spooky

Coturnix are for the most part really sweet. They can have their moments though. I thought my one lone girl from my original hatch would appreciate some female company so the male wouldn't only dote on her (she didn't like him for a long time and kept her distance). I put 2 girls in with her and him, they had been adjacent for at least a month.

THe first day everything was fine. The second day though (48 hours) Oprah nearly killed one of the girls, and really tore up the other. As they were injured, not sick, we ate them. It was really sad though to have to put them out of their misery.

Oprah's been a little out of sorts since, I guess she didn't like anybody using her box. THe male, Tuck, however, had been delighted to have the new girls to chase around and was crowing and having a grand time.

So, I'll just be leaving Oprah and Tuck to themselves.

But, they are really a neat little bird to have.

Back
Top Bottom