Coturnix Quail

Stephen1152

Chirping
May 17, 2017
Long Island, New York
I hatched some Coturnix quail. I put them outside in a coup with a screen bottom. I am finding them extremely dirty both inside the cage and cleaning under the cage. They dirty everything. I feel cruel because I keep removing things like the pan with sand. They love taking a sand bath but within hours its disgusting. I put greens in the cage and even that gets covered. Much harder to keep clean than my chickens. Am I expecting too much? I know I clean my chicken coop way more than necessary. Any tips? They are five weeks and I think they may be gone before my first egg. I have seven birds in a cage that is 4 feet long and 20 inches wide. Thanks

Well, you have seven birds in less than 8 square feet of space, so, yes, it's going to get dirty. You could try giving them more space, you could do deep litter, or both. Both would be ideal.
Every
Well, you have seven birds in less than 8 square feet of space, so, yes, it's going to get dirty. You could try giving them more space, you could do deep litter, or both. Both would be ideal.
Everything I read said how little space they need. I knew that was the reason I guess I just needed to hear it. I bought a rabbit hutch and added an extension. Should I keep the same concept except bigger or make something like the chicken coup and run? Something on the ground is a pain because I need to make it much more predator proof but if that is what you think. Thanks!

Quail won't use a coop, but a chicken-style run is good. Off the ground is also fine, though it does make deep litter harder if you want to go in that direction.
Something being off the ground doesn't really make it any more predator-proof. Predators will climb up the legs to get at the birds.

Quail won't kill each other if you give them a square foot of space apiece, is why people say they don't need much space. They're a lot happier with more.

Aaaaand while they can certainly live at that density, simple math says it will get dirty a lot faster than less crowded :)

Maybe get rid of ~3 first? See if that brings it to manageable?

I have to clean my cages every 2-3 days at MOST when my growouts reach that density.
I just said that I was going to get rid of a few, make it manageable, then decide if I want to make something bigger. Then I read your reply. I ant happy pets. Thanks.

Oh, you should look into fermenting their feed. Less food waste, they eat (and poop) less overall, and makes their poop less smelly.
Have you done this successfully with your quail? Mine hardly want to touch the fermented feed, or smash it flat and think they have no food! But I do fermented food with my chickens. Maybe i will try again with the Q's, I know my chickens waste zero food and seem healthier on it. and my Q's waste alot of their dry food!

Have you done this successfully with your quail? Mine hardly want to touch the fermented feed, or smash it flat and think they have no food! But I do fermented food with my chickens. Maybe i will try again with the Q's, I know my chickens waste zero food and seem healthier on it. and my Q's waste alot of their dry food!

On and off! I get lazy. Sprinkle some dry food or seeds or mealworms on top, that gets em going.

On and off! I get lazy. Sprinkle some dry food or seeds or mealworms on top, that gets em going.
Good idea, they go insane for mealworms! I'll set some of their feed to soaking tonight and give it another go.

OP
once you get your flock thinned out you should find they are not as messy as chickens but do tend to be stinkier.
(Another reason I should try the fermented feed again!)
Since i got back into chickens a couple years ago ive done fermented feed, last fall i bought a full grown rooster and had him quarantined for a while, i was suprised how stinky his poo was compared to my others! After a bit over a week on the fermented feed the smell went down A LOT, it really makes a big difference, and is easy to do, cuts down feed waste drastically too.

Back
Top Bottom