Coturnix; type & sex?

Kali

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
North Plains
My neighbor stopped by to give me 3 mature quail last week... I'm guessing they are the Tuxedo kind. I thought I was getting 2 females and a male... I have no experience with quail. They are in the brooder with 27 1 to 3 week old chicken chicks since I didn't think they would fare well with the fully grown hens.

There are two with the back of their heads bald and gold flecks on the brown feathers. The one w/ a fully feathered head doesn't have the gold flecks and is larger than the other 2. I thought the 2 baldy's were females but I've seen both of them make that funny little call... which means they're male, right?

Any idea's on the sexes of this trio?

The non-baldy is in the middle... 2 week old Turken on the upper right.
36935_399043388041_624643041_4287584_7469521_n.jpg

A baldy being mounted by the non-baldy but I've seen the baldys mount each other too, are they confused?
36935_399043373041_624643041_4287581_7080564_n.jpg

I haven't gotten any eggs yet
sad.png

I tried looking for the cloacal gland but was unsuccessful... they don't like being held and have sharp claws and beaks, ow!

...and yes, I read the sticky.

Last edited:
I KNOW the one on top is a roo, and hope the one on bottom is a hen
lau.gif
j/k

I'm with the others on this on, 1 roo and 2 hens, but I'm just going by the feathers on the 2 where it looks like they are being topped...

It Should Be Noted The 1 Roo 2 Hens Theory Is Just That--- A Theory Based On Feather Wear. Also Take Into Account That It Could Be 3 Roos And 1 Is Dominant Over The Other 2..(which Would Totally Suck For Those 2, But Happens Frequently With Coturnix)

If you have seen both the baldys crow and the non baldy is mounting them they are all males
sad.png
seperate each one for a few minutes so they cannot see each other, watch and listen, males will crow pretty much straight away and get quite restless the hens on the other hand will make a sweet chriupping call that sounds like a cricket
smile.png

Quote:
Agreed, I would say probably 3 males.

You can also vent sex them, if they are crowing it will work. Hold the bird in your hand and turn it over. Press lightly behind the vent near the tail, if it is a male there will be a white foam come out when you press on this gland.

Thanks for all the replies... I have yet to get any eggs
sad.png
I did the vent sex as suggested and thick foam came out of the 2 larger ones while a lighter more airy foam came out of the small one. I guess that means I have 3 roo's.

Back
Top Bottom