Cougar In The Neighborhood

I agree, bears are WAY scarrier!
th.gif

I've seen a cougar here too, but the dogs just keep it away.

Hopefully the big kitty moves on and doesn't bother you!
fl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Both bears and cougars give me the heebie jeebies. I've never lived where either is common and make it a point not to tent camp or hike where they are common. Or, rather, I usually do. I'm fairly paranoid about it. Imagine my state when I woke up in a tent in a nearly empty campground this summer and realized I had forgotten my usual precautions. I was tent camping ALONE in a mountainside campground in both bear and cougar country....

Most of the time, mountain lions are not a problem and if they hear or see you coming, they will go the other way. You just get those few that you hear about in the news to give them a worse reputation. I camp and hike in cougar territory all the time and have not had a problem with any of them, so far. There are some precautions such as being aware of your surroundings, watching your back when you kneel or sit in cougar country and keeping an eye out for fresh tracks.

I've never really spent a lot of time around bears, except a couple of black bears now and then, so I would be nervous in grizzly country.

Quote:
You very well might. They have been spotted here in Western Mass. on game cams near the Quabbin Reservoir. New Hampshire would be an evening walk away.

I think that cougars scare me more...because they are so stealth quiet when they are hunting...
you'd never know what hit you...

Bears can be quite stealthy as well, but cougars, I saw a game cam pic of a cougar walking just few yards behind a deer. The deer didn't even hear it!

Quote:
Grizzlies... ugh...
barnie.gif

Nothing scares me more than them...
Well..maybe sharks..cause you cant SEE them before they rip your leg off...
I'd like to at least see whats gonna eat me.. i guess..
roll.png

Quote:
How will you get it? YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD NOT KILL IT?! RIGHT?!
Just call some animal patrol, they will relocate the cougar....

Back
Top Bottom