Cough/Rattle/Eye Bubbles

ct12555

Chirping
Aug 15, 2023
Athens, Texas
Three of my chickens seem to have respiratory problems going on. Each has a cough or sneezing with a rattling sound. Today, I noticed eye bubbles in the eye of one. Any information and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have them isolate, but I’m afraid I may have a problem.

Have you added any new birds recently? The symptoms you have reported could be signs of a chronic respiratory disease, MG or mycoplasma galisepticum. The whole flock may have already been exposed at the same time. Tylosin powder in the water or Denagard have been used to treat symptoms, but the disease may still be there for life. If you lose any, your state vet could test and do a necropsy to confirm a diagnosis. Here is a good source for Tylosin, and dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Have you added any new birds recently? The symptoms you have reported could be signs of a chronic respiratory disease, MG or mycoplasma galisepticum. The whole flock may have already been exposed at the same time. Tylosin powder in the water or Denagard have been used to treat symptoms, but the disease may still be there for life. If you lose any, your state vet could test and do a necropsy to confirm a diagnosis. Here is a good source for Tylosin, and dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
My entire flock has been acquired within the past several months from about four different sources. This doesn’t sound good for sure.

Well, chronic respiratory diseases in chickens are usually brought in from other flocks, or people who don’t mind selling birds who have been exposed to diseases. How many birds do you have? When one has a respiratory disease, it makes the whole flock carriers for life usually. The foamy eye sound like mycoplasma (MG.) I would close the flock to birds going out or coming in. You can chose to treat the sick birds with antibiotics which can get expensive, or to cull sick birds. Most state vets will do a necropsy/autopsy on a sick bird to give you a diagnosis of the disease. That is a good way to know for sure. These birds may give you some eggs, but sometimes they may not lay well. Some chose to cull the flock and start over, but it depends on how big a flock one has. You can wait until the last bird dies and then get new chickens. I don’t buy birds from anyone anymore, but buy healthy baby chicks from a feed store or a hatchery. Good luck, and sorry about the illness.

Well, chronic respiratory diseases in chickens are usually brought in from other flocks, or people who don’t mind selling birds who have been exposed to diseases. How many birds do you have? When one has a respiratory disease, it makes the whole flock carriers for life usually. The foamy eye sound like mycoplasma (MG.) I would close the flock to birds going out or coming in. You can chose to treat the sick birds with antibiotics which can get expensive, or to cull sick birds. Most state vets will do a necropsy/autopsy on a sick bird to give you a diagnosis of the disease. That is a good way to know for sure. These birds may give you some eggs, but sometimes they may not lay well. Some chose to cull the flock and start over, but it depends on how big a flock one has. You can wait until the last bird dies and then get new chickens. I don’t buy birds from anyone anymore, but buy healthy baby chicks from a feed store or a hatchery. Good luck, and sorry about the illness.
Right now, I have fourteen total. I’m going to do as you suggest and not add or get rid of any, and see how it plays out. Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom