Coughing and Sneezing

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I just got my chickens last Sunday. One of the hens seemed to have a runny nose the next day, but she has been acting normal--eating, drinking, pooping. Today she is sneezing and coughing non-stop, but still hopping around and eating. Her eyes are very shiny. Her poop looks different from that of the other hen, but I'm not sure what chicken diarrhea looks like. It's not totally runny, just wetter than the bigger hen's. (There are only two hens in the coop and run, the rest are pullets and are in a chicken tractor.)

What should I do? Do chickens get colds that pass just like people? I don't have money to take her to the vet or buy any expensive treatments, but I also don't want to let her get sicker if there is something simple I could do to help her. Should I worry, or just wait it out? Are they other symptoms I should watch for?

Forgot to add, she got pretty wet in the rain the day after I brought her home---she got out and was running around the yard, it started pouring, and instead of going under the raised coop where it was dry, she just stood in the rain and got soaked! Silly bird. I think she was distressed, it being her first day in a new place and all.

yes they do get colds. I have my hen on Lyncomycin (sp?)...a 5-day treatment of antibiotics dissoved in her water.....I was advised to put her on Tylan, but can't find that in our area....the manufacturer said this would treat the same thing....the cold...

..may want to isolate her so no others get her cold....

Tylan would be the best if you could find that. TSC should have it. I am not familiar with the med that Dixiechick wrote about but you could also try gallimycin, erthromycin, or aureomycin. I believe they all treat the same things and are all water soluble. Without completely diagnosing your hen, it is impossible to list just one med that would help her. The heavy rain plus the stress definately could have brought on a cold. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom