Coughing and wheezing........UPDATE, NEED HELP!!!

PeeperKeeper

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Henry County Kentucky
Well, we have one in the chicken hospital ward....again! This time it is a bantam buff leghorn with respiratory rattle and cough. I can't decide if it is laryngeal or bronchial infection or gape worms. I don't know if we get gape worms in KY.
We had Coryza this past summer and I don't think these symptoms are the same. We have isolated the hen and I started her on Gallimycin, polyvisol, and am using VetRx as a comfort measure.
If anyone has had problems with Infectious Bronchitis or Laryngeal Viral Infection, just drop a note here what you tried and what your outcome was. Thanks

Last edited:
I had somthing going around my flock a few weeks back, runny nose, bubbles in the eyes, coughting, rattle in the chest !! I used Tylan and everyone got better with in a few days !! Hope you figure out what it is and she gets better !! Good luck !!

Maybe this will help..... http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

Well, it has been 4 days now.
The hen is alert, energetic, eats well, avoids drinking, wants out of her cage. But she is still coughing and has a high pitched whistle noise occasionally with respiration.
She's been on Gallimycin (drench once a day) and SafeGuard (fenbendazole) for possible Gape Worm. There has not been any watery eye or nasal drainage.
The rattling in her chest only seems to happen later at night and subsides with rest.
What I'd like to know is: How can I tell if she has a disease vs. gape worm vs. something stuck in her throat?
How long after worming should you expect sessation of symptoms?
She gets to coughing sometimes so violently that she "beats" her head on the cage floor!
If gape worms go into the lungs, after worming are they expelled by coughing or what?
If some one has had experience with this please post what happened in your case. Thank You.

Back
Top Bottom