Coughing Chick? Please Help!

SillyChick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2007
Hello
tea.gif

I bought 2 RIR chicks yesterday, but I noticed one is "coughing"........? It sounds like a beak hitting metal or something...........I looked into its nose and see tiny greenish dots that appear to be boogers. What sickness is this? What is the cure? Please help! I don't want to lose a chick! If you need more info, feel free to ask me!

Thanks in advance! (Please hurry)

Edited to add: Oh, I made a mistake! It was actually more of a sneeze! She also has some runny nose. She also vomits a saliva-like fluid sometimes. Although she has this sickness, she doesn't show much weakness. She eats and drinks. Very sorry!

Last edited:
Whoops.......hehe, sorry! Didn't see that one!

Here are some info:

Breed: Rhode Island Red, Standard
Weight: Quite light, sorry! Don't have a working weighing scale....
Behavior: Looks fine, eating and drinking, but makes little sneezes from time to time. The nose is a bit runny. She also vomits saliva-like fluid sometimes.
Trauma: None
Possible cause: Overcrowding in the poultry shop brooder, Improper cleaning and exposure to dust and gases from vehicles while in the store
Diet: Chick Crumbles and Water with Vitamins with antibacterial action
Poop: Normal
Treatment so far: Antibacterial Vitamins in the water
Intended Treatment: Visit the poultry shop for some medication
Picture: Chick is sleeping - don't want to disturb! I'll try to get a pic in the morning

I tried to answer as many as possible - sorry for some missing info! I'll try to get more answers.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
hmmm...I am not understanding the reference to the vitamins with "antibacterial action" ... do you hae a product name for me (need to know about any meds you are giving)

Is the chick starter medicated? have the birds been vaccinated for anything?

Back
Top Bottom