1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coughing Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pachina, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Pachina

Pachina New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    Idaho
    Hi. I have a few chickens in my flock who have been coughing some. They show no other signs of illness, no runny eyes or nose, no lethargy, just coughing. Is this something I should treat with antibiotics, or something I should just watch to see if they develop other symptoms? This has been ongoing for a couple of weeks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check your coop ventilation, make sure that air is circulating well overhead, add a fan or windows if necessary, keep it dry and clean, and avoid wet conditions where mold can be a problem. Here is a good link about common diseases including the respiratory ones: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  3. Pachina

Pachina New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    Idaho
    Their coop has two windows, and it is always open so they have access to their outside yard. Part of the yard is dirt, part is grass. What sort of bedding do you suggest?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by