Coughing goat..need advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RockyToggRanch, Apr 4, 2009.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I adopted 2 two yr old togg does about 6 wks ago. One of them would occaisionally cough. She's always twirling her head in the air. The last several days she seems a bit slower than normal and her cough is a bit more frequent. She's never acted sick at all, just the cough. Is there reason for concern? Is there something I can get from Agway or TSC to help her? Could it be an allergy or something?

Thanks for your help

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Could be from an old case of pneumonia that scarred her lungs. or she might need to be wormed with a wormer that will take care of lung worms. Ivermectin plus is for lung worm . Its a injectabel and thats how I give it. Then you would need to worm again in 10 days, and 10 days after that with a different wormer. This is what I would do.

3. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Is the head twirling normal? My other 2 don't do this. Is there an ivermectin that is oral? Is this an RX or can I get it at TSC?

Thanks

4. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    What you need to get is safeguard and give it 4 times what they say, than in 10 days do it again. I know your thinking that much will kill the goat it wont belive me. They say that you cant kill with Safeguard thats why I tell people to use it.
    Was the doe raised with Nubians, they turn there head like that. You might also ask the place if they gave BoSe or anything to the girls.
    With the doe that coughs, when you get next to her doe she sound like she could have a cold? Does she sound stuffy?
    Cheri

5. Chatychick

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Some are injectabel and some are pour on and you can give either orally. The head twirling is something I didnt see. You need to give also so either Fortified B complex or a B complex that some feed stores sell. It could be the starting for polio...not like the kind people get its basically a B defeciency...I keep fortified B complex on hand all the time as it helps when they dont want to eat also...good thing to have and what they dont need is usually peed out. It also may just be a habit as I have a horse that does this when she gets adgitated...Vet said it was like tourettes disease.I would give her some of the B complex and see if it helps or its just a habit.

6. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thanks. The lady I got them from only had them for a short time. But I do remember her saying that the girl she got them from would give them B shots to keep them from fainting. I thought that was weird and didn't give it any thought.

Safeguard is a wormer, right? Is there a specific one for goats? Is it given orally? I have never given an injection. Although, I wouldn't have a problem with it after I see someone else do it once.

What am I looking for as far as B complex?

Can I give her both at the same time? Should the other two goats get both as well?

7. Chatychick

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Safeguard wormer is basically for tapeworms, nothing else. You need some pour on type wormer and it will say on the label for lung worms and liver flukes.
    B-complx isnt hard to find TSC should have it it is a injectable not to be given orally. Shots are easy to do. its basically sub-q shot for the B-complex.

8. dddCT

dddCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Durham, CT
    I have a nubian and notice alot of head tossing. I just thought she was nuts. Is that normal for nubians?

9. ilroost

ilroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    weldon il.
    safeguard wont work for lung worm i use eprinex that is a pour on seems to work good for me. Also some goats just sneeze alot when they eat hay the loose particles get in thier nose i have one like that it drove me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong with her.Finally went to the vet to find out she had allergies

10. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thanks. She's not sneezing though. She's coughing. From the throat. It wasn't as bad today. I only heard her cough once. Maybe it was the hay?? I'll have the vet look at them when he's here for the horses. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by