*coughing* pls help

Celestial18

Chirping
Apr 3, 2022
I'm watching my friends ducks while they take care of a fox problem. Started noticing one is coughing, I've only had them 2 days. I've made sure to give them better feed than they had, fresher water, cleaner water, and I even bring them inside my garage at night for extra protection. What is going on? Do ducks do this if something is stuck in their throat?? I'm about to put electrolytes and vitamins in their water. I was given scratch feed for them, but I started giving them organic game bird and fed them frozen veggies earlier in their pool. I know NOTHING about ducks. Thank you.

Kind of sounded a little like wheezing while breathing? When they're in the crate at night I put their water in a dog bowl, could it be that its not deep enough for them. I'm scared something will happen to this poor duck :(

Ducks need water deep enough to fully dunk their head to flush out their nares and eyes. If they do not have water deep enough they will cough and sneeze trying to clear their airways. What feed were they on before you switched? Gamebird feed is usually too high in protein for ducks.

Ducks need water deep enough to fully dunk their head to flush out their nares and eyes. If they do not have water deep enough they will cough and sneeze trying to clear their airways. What feed were they on before you switched? Gamebird feed is usually too high in protein for ducks.
They left me with scratch feed and nothing else. I also have chicken feed. He stopped coughing, I believe its due to the dog bowl like you said. What do you suggest I mix with the scratch feed?? I'm watching these guys for a month. Thank you so much

They left me with scratch feed and nothing else. I also have chicken feed. He stopped coughing, I believe its due to the dog bowl like you said. What do you suggest I mix with the scratch feed?? I'm watching these guys for a month. Thank you so much
Chicken feed will work for ducks since you're just babysitting. Although I would greatly question whoever you are babysitting for's ability to take care of ducks if they only left you with scratch to feed them.

Chicken feed will work for ducks since you're just babysitting. Although I would greatly question whoever you are babysitting for's ability to take care of ducks if they only left you with scratch to feed them.
I just found out today I'm keeping them for a month. She's letting me keep the brown ones, she's trying to forfeit the pekins. She told me she is too poor and that they can eat dog food and be okay. I've been giving them some chicken food, and the scratch. I will need to look up what else they can eat. I've never owned a duck before lol. This is crazy. Currently working on a pallet house for them.

Attachments

• 279439157_529844165457773_6305982250573587495_n.jpg
    279439157_529844165457773_6305982250573587495_n.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 2
Chicken scratch grains are not nutritionally adequate for chickens and certainly not for ducks. They are a treat for poultry that get their nutrition from pellets. Your game food is high protein so mix it with the scratch until both are finished, then buy duck pellets.

The ducks are lovely -- glad you are lookign to care for them properly and give them a safe place to sleep

Back
Top Bottom