coughing sneezing

Stillachick

Hatching
May 5, 2015
I am using oxy tetracyline for my pullets that I rec'd from a chicken seller last week. The pullets are not responding as well as I hoped. I have not mixed them with my adult group and am afraid I will have to put them down which I hate to do -- I bought them from someone else and feel so guilty about killing them when they run around and act so normal eating and drinking enthusiastically -- but am concerned with the sneezing and slight coughing they do I called the seller who was concerned and said he would replace them and was going to treat all his pullets to be safe.. I think the one I bought them from had too many birds in one area even though I didn't get to see inside the building. They had a rule they said to protect the chickens. I have done that myself - not letting just anyone walk into my coop and spreading germs. Is there any hope. They have been on this almost 3 days now. Please - is anyoen else seeing this? I hope not that avarian flu? I think they would all be dead if that was it right? I am assuming it is just a respiratory disease due to too many birds in a confined area. I will never buy anything but my own baby chicks 2 days old again. What a stressful mess.

This is an awful thing to happen, but even if your new chickens would respond to antibiotics, they still will be carriers of whatever respiratory disease they have. I would get one or two tested, or sacrifice the sickest one, and have your state vet do a necropsy. That way, you will know what you are dealing with. Use good biosecurity, since these diseases may be spread on hands, shoes, clothes, and equipment. What symptoms exactly are they showing?

They are thankfully better today. They were sneezing and coughing but nothing else and now it appears the only thing I am hearing is a few sneezes. I had the sickest one put down yesterday and now I could just shoot myself for not having it vet tested. couldn't it just be a upper respiratory though? I have treated with oxy but made the mistake of originally putting vitamin in water "VITAL" which I think is what messed it up and didn't really take effect. sinse I redid the mixture without it they are reacting really good. they have always eaten heartily and drank like crazy. showed Normal activity and have been isolated snice arrival but I have to admit I have walked into other coop without changing shoes darn. thank you for your advice. I am wondering if I should put them all down now due to being carriers?? so sad now - they are finally getting better. do yo think I should treat my adult birds just in case?

I still would get one tested to see what they have. It could be something that doesn't cause them to be carriers, or they could have infectious bronchitis, that would only make carriers for up to a year. But if it is MG,ILT, or coryza, then they will all be carriers. So it might ease your mind if it is not a serious, or it would guide you in your decision.

Back
Top Bottom