1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coughing turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by dadsgirl, Mar 23, 2009.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    i have a one year old turkey hen , that seems to have a cough, and no other symotoms, does anyone know what this could be ? and how to treat, they are standard bronze turkeys

thanks, angie

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dont be to quick to medicate, give her some time..may pass, but if you see any changes or worsening, have some antibiotics on hand..

Charlie

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    There is a whole list of respiratory problems they can have. Without any other symtoms it could be anything. Usually there is swelling around the face, watery eyes, changes in droppings that can narrow it down. You can check here

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206700.htm

But without anything else to go by it's a long list.

Steve in NC

4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Steve you said it, it could be nothing or could be anything..a lot of the aliments have so many closely related symptoms its tough to diagnose anything, heck even some worms or parasites can cause a respiratory problem...

Charlie

5. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:I had one last year started to cough.. after nearly 2 weeks it died.

There were no signs of it getting worse until it collapsed, then it was to late for me to do anything..

Then another started coughing.. After reading this forum, I bought a bottle of Tylan and syringes.. Give it a very small shot for 3 days...

It keep coughing for a while afterwards, but finally stopped..

Try doing a search on Tylan on this board and read what others has posted on this and the amount to use..

Now if I could find something to stop that other noise... sound like gobble, gobble, and quake, quake.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by