Coughing young duck

The Baytril still maybe working especially since she has been on it so long. Are you giving her a probiotic to get her good bacteria back in her gut?
As long as she isn't showing any other symptoms maybe give it a week longer and if she is still coughing then decide on a vet. you've felt along her neck for any kind of obstruction? Do they have grit available at all times? If she had been foraging on tall grass etc she may have some stuck.
Yes, she's been getting probiotics in her food. Haven't noticed any signs of obstruction but I have seen her try to eat strange things- she's definitely not the brightest. She forages with the others in the yard all day. And yes they have access to grit.

If it is an obstruction somewhere in her throat, wouldn't it affect her eating?

I do hear her cough a little more in the mornings when she wakes up. Today is her last day of the 3 weeks Baytril- you think extend another week or observe her for the next week? I was going to end the antibiotics today.

Thank you so much for your help Miss Lydia!

No let this be the end of the antibiotics and see how she does. It will be in her system for a awhile after you stop.

It may keep her from eating a lot at one time. But if they have grit hopefully that would help get any things stuck down as long as it is in their crop. In her throat probably not.

If she is still coughing by the end of next week maybe then a vet should have a look. By then the Baytril should be out of her system.

No let this be the end of the antibiotics and see how she does. It will be in her system for a awhile after you stop.

It may keep her from eating a lot at one time. But if they have grit hopefully that would help get any things stuck down as long as it is in their crop. In her throat probably not.

If she is still coughing by the end of next week maybe then a vet should have a look. By then the Baytril should be out of her system.
That's what I was thinking too. I'll keep you posted and see how she's doing in a week. Thanks again for helping me navigate this.

i wonder if ducks can have allergies . i’m going through something a little similar, but I haven’t tried any antibiotics because my duck is actually a little better than she was , after i stopped using the straw that had a slight musty smell to it, and now I’m also treating her with Vet RX . I have antibiotics on hand but don’t want to use them unless I am sure I need to. at first I thought she had swallowed something and had an obstruction because she also tries to eat all kinds of random things like large size pebbles and i gave her coconut oil a few times and that seem to help as well.

i wonder if ducks can have allergies . i’m going through something a little similar, but I haven’t tried any antibiotics because my duck is actually a little better than she was , after i stopped using the straw that had a slight musty smell to it, and now I’m also treating her with Vet RX . I have antibiotics on hand but don’t want to use them unless I am sure I need to. at first I thought she had swallowed something and had an obstruction because she also tries to eat all kinds of random things like large size pebbles and i gave her coconut oil a few times and that seem to help as well.
I eventually took my coughing Coco duck to the vet because the cough never fully cleared. A trachea swab revealed that she had a pneumonia bacteria that was resistant to the Baytril. They put her on a different antibiotic (Zeniquin) and that cleared her up. It did take 3 weeks of the oral Zeniquin to get her well but she's all good now.

It is possible that your duck was allergic to something in her bedding, especially if she's better now. I try to avoid the vet unless all else fails. Is your bird ok now?

I eventually took my coughing Coco duck to the vet because the cough never fully cleared. A trachea swab revealed that she had a pneumonia bacteria that was resistant to the Baytril. They put her on a different antibiotic (Zeniquin) and that cleared her up. It did take 3 weeks of the oral Zeniquin to get her well but she's all good now.

It is possible that your duck was allergic to something in her bedding, especially if she's better now. I try to avoid the vet unless all else fails. Is your bird ok now?
She is mostly better but still I heard a little squeaky hiccup type cough or two yesterday, But none in the morning and that is when she would usually cough a lot. I am using the Oxine AH now misting their coop and misting them also still a little Vet RX on the one duck and got them all fresh straw from a new place.

She is mostly better but still I heard a little squeaky hiccup type cough or two yesterday, But none in the morning and that is when she would usually cough a lot. I am using the Oxine AH now misting their coop and misting them also still a little Vet RX on the one duck and got them all fresh straw from a new place.
Good to know! I've never used Oxine AH. Do you just spray it on the surfaces in the coop?

Good to know! I've never used Oxine AH. Do you just spray it on the surfaces in the coop?
i learned about it from @Miss Lydia and i’m misting over the ducks trying to get some mist on their cute little funny faces with the mist. 2x a day . I would do three times but it’s hard for me to catch the ducks once they’re out and about for the day so I do morning and evening,, also , I spray inside their coop after I clean out the poops and put fresh bedding every day just a to keep the straw dust down and disinfected

Back
Top Bottom