Coughing young duck

Lauraduck

Songster
Oct 13, 2021
Hawaii
My youngest runner duck, who is now 12 weeks old, developed a cough about 2 weeks ago. Knowing from previous respiratory issues with my other ducks, I immediately put her on Baytril. I did not want to wait and allow this to develop into a more serious respiratory infection.

She went from cough, to being very hoarse and losing her voice, and now she's back to sounding normal, but she still has some of the dry cough. I am on day 12 of the Baytril with her. What do you guys think I should do? Extend the Baytril to a 3 week course? It has definitely helped a lot, I just don't want to stop the meds and potentially cause a more severe resistant infection if it's not fully cleared up yet.

Any input is appreciated! Thank you ☺️

She has been eating and drinking fine this whole time and her breathing has been fine. Here's a photo of Coco Chanel- the duck in question- she's so cute.

Attachments

• IMG_2318.jpeg
    IMG_2318.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 183
My youngest runner duck, who is now 12 weeks old, developed a cough about 2 weeks ago. Knowing from previous respiratory issues with my other ducks, I immediately put her on Baytril. I did not want to wait and allow this to develop into a more serious respiratory infection.

She went from cough, to being very hoarse and losing her voice, and now she's back to sounding normal, but she still has some of the dry cough. I am on day 12 of the Baytril with her. What do you guys think I should do? Extend the Baytril to a 3 week course? It has definitely helped a lot, I just don't want to stop the meds and potentially cause a more severe resistant infection if it's not fully cleared up yet.

Any input is appreciated! Thank you ☺️

She has been eating and drinking fine this whole time and her breathing has been fine. Here's a photo of Coco Chanel- the duck in question- she's so cute.
I personally would keep her on the meds for the 3 week course since she is not completely over it. She sure is a pretty duck.

I personally would keep her on the meds for the 3 week course since she is not completely over it. She sure is a pretty duck.
OOps, I just read on here that someone had posted on another question that if kept on it over 5 days it will produce a yeast infection. I had never heard of that so maybe do not keep it on for 3 weeks. I don't want to mislead you.

Thank you! I think I will do so. I had two other ducks on 2 week courses of Baytril before (per vet's recommendation) with no ill side effects. I guess one more week should be ok.

Hello fellow duckers... an update on my coughing Coco. It is now 3 weeks she has been on Baytril. She still has some dry coughing but is otherwise acting completely normal. At this point if there was a bacterial infection the Baytril should have killed it.

Any thoughts on why this young duck would still have the occasional fit of dry coughing? It kind of sounds like she's trying to clear her throat or clear something from her throat. Something she coughs when she's dunking her head in water, sometimes when she quacks a lot, sometimes looks like she's coughing out of nowhere. When she's eating she seems fine- maybe sometimes a little cough here and there. None of my other 4 ducks seem to be in any way affected by this- they're all fine (and also older).

I really don't know what to do. If all else fails and the cough gets worse now that she's off the antibiotics I guess I can take her to the vet. However if I can avoid that it would be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and give me your input.

The Baytril still maybe working especially since she has been on it so long. Are you giving her a probiotic to get her good bacteria back in her gut?
As long as she isn't showing any other symptoms maybe give it a week longer and if she is still coughing then decide on a vet. you've felt along her neck for any kind of obstruction? Do they have grit available at all times? If she had been foraging on tall grass etc she may have some stuck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom