could a fox and a duck be friends?

Mar 24, 2020
okay so at the moment i have some indoor ducks, who get along great with dogs/cats. in the future i plan to get a pet fox (not from the wild or a breeder, they will definitely be a fur farm rescue)

now, i’ve done my research for years on foxes and have talked to many experts about housing/caring for them. yes i know foxes shouldn’t be pets, but unfortunately fur farm foxes need homes or will die.

so... does anyone think this could possibly ever work? the fox would live inside at night but have a pen during the day just like my ducks.

again, i don’t need “advice” on why i shouldn’t keep foxes as pets or why i shouldn’t keep my ducks inside.

That's great that you want to rescue a fox! I just wouldn't let the fox have access to your ducks, he or she would kill them in a heartbeat, even if you trained him/her. It's just in their instinct. I would keep them completely separated, with chicken wire down into the ground. I don't think it would work to have them both inside as pets like cats or dogs. The only other way that it might work is to keep the fox in one room at night, or the ducks in a room at night. If you do want to do this I would be sure that the fox could not escape or get into the room. They're smart, and will try to kill your ducks.

If you want a fpx, get one from someone who breeds them for pets (yes those people exist and know what they're doing).

Fur farms do not breed for pet qualities, they breed for fur qualities.

Even if you got one, don't let it even see your ducks or you'll have a ticking time bomb

I think that it would work best if you were to have a large outdoor enclosure for the fox and not keep him/her in the house as a pet. You could still bond and tame him/her, but I think it would give him/her a much better life, whereas before it was in a cage all its life. This way it could enjoy the life a a wild fox, still be safe, still be able to bond with you, and your ducks will be safe. You could also get a shed (or build one) to have out there that's heated in the winter (if it's cold there) and he'll be safe at night.

I really hope this works out for you

Back
Top Bottom