Could a medicated feed have caused all this?

Sounds like your poor birds had quite a time of it lately!

Before I knew any better, I wired my hens up a light and left it on 24/7 for a number of months one winter, and it never caused any unexpected moulting, feather plucking, bullying, or any noticeable drop in egg production. And that was in a coop that was slightly more crowded than the 4 sq ft per bird recommendation too! Not to say the light didn't cause distress for YOUR hens of course, but just saying...

I'd imagine the overall change in routine - different person doing the feeding, different food, medicated food, lights etc could perhaps have triggered all the problems you describe.

Quote:
You are correct about the wormer causing feathers to grow back looking worn, torn and frazzled/frizzled during a molt....it is fenbendazole, commonly found in Safeguard wormer products.
I also agree with schellie69, that worming should take a back seat til the molt is over with. They are already under enough stress during a molt ...worming could possibly weaken their immune system further causing more problems. I know some people worm during molt and never had any problems...probiotics help in immune system recovery.

Back
Top Bottom