Could a Medium Egg be a 1st Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lindabean, Sep 11, 2009.

1. lindabean

lindabean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    I have an EE that has been laying 4 nice big eggs every week since April. Big Eggs! Like 2 ounces big. Now, I also have these 2 Amereacuna's that I raised from babies that are about 17 weeks old. Sooo, today DH finds a "bigger than small" egg laid in the middle of the chicken yard! Since my EEer, Janet, always has laid eggs in the hen house and they are always BIG, I'm wondering if this "yard egg" might belong to one of the youngsters?

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    The size & location of egg would tell me it is someone else. Congrats on another layer! [​IMG]

3. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I don't know EEs, but we've had a number of heavier breed birds start at "bigger than medium." Congratulations!

4. lindabean

lindabean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    YIPEEE [​IMG]:weee Just need to sweet talk them into getting back into the groove of 2 or 3 eggs a day! I also have a medium size brown egg that appeared in a nest, but doesn't look as big as the brown ones the Cochin "Liz" was laying. Maybe with the kids getting into the act, the Ladies will get back into the game. Cain't Wait! [​IMG]

5. idiganthro

idiganthro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    One of my three girls has started laying- three eggs in 4 days and all medium sized (1.75-1.85 ounces)

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

When my BO's started laying they were HUGE double yolkers for about 2 months. My leghorns just started laying and they are smaller eggs. I think it depends on the breed.

7. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    One of our BOs started laying this past weekend and he first eggs are small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by