Could a mouse kill chicks?

shanshan51

Songster
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Vacaville, CA
I had two chicks die at 3 days old. One looked as if it MAY HAVE of had a bite on it (or a bit of hatching blood that I hadn't noticed but doubt it). I did find mouse droppings so I set a trap and we caught one.

Last edited:
When I first read this thread I though it said "Could a moose kill chicks?"

I had to read this one to see how this moose killed chicks and why there was any doubt about it... and how a moose got in the chicken coop or brooder...

I was pretty disappointed when I realized it said "mouse"...
wink.png

Sorry I don't have any contributions about the mouse, but if it's ever asked, yes, a moose can also kill chicks.
big_smile.png

hahaha well we had squirrels and rats kill our week old chicks when they were in a on ground incubator. Since then we built a super secure brooder for them once they move out of the house. Well in the meantime they were in my house and something killed them.

I believe they can, some of what people call mice are pretty big, and at this time of the year their food is scarce. I think it's possible and I have heard of it happening, I have some mice around my breeding pen's and some of them do get to ba a nice size certainly capable of taking down a chick for a meal for it's family.

Back
Top Bottom