Could a mouse kill chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shanshan51, Dec 14, 2011.

1. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    I had two chicks die at 3 days old. One looked as if it MAY HAVE of had a bite on it (or a bit of hatching blood that I hadn't noticed but doubt it). I did find mouse droppings so I set a trap and we caught one.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. snipercp

snipercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Nottingham
    ive heard of rats killing chicks but not mice im not sure.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I doubt a mouse would. The chicks would out size them very quickly.

4. shanshan51

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    That is what I thought. I am so confused. They were only 2-3 days old. No other issues could be seen.

5. AZ Rabbits

AZ Rabbits Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    Arizona
    When I first read this thread I though it said "Could a moose kill chicks?"

I had to read this one to see how this moose killed chicks and why there was any doubt about it... and how a moose got in the chicken coop or brooder...

I was pretty disappointed when I realized it said "mouse"... [​IMG]

Sorry I don't have any contributions about the mouse, but if it's ever asked, yes, a moose can also kill chicks. [​IMG]

6. shanshan51

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    hahaha well we had squirrels and rats kill our week old chicks when they were in a on ground incubator. Since then we built a super secure brooder for them once they move out of the house. Well in the meantime they were in my house and something killed them.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I believe they can, some of what people call mice are pretty big, and at this time of the year their food is scarce. I think it's possible and I have heard of it happening, I have some mice around my breeding pen's and some of them do get to ba a nice size certainly capable of taking down a chick for a meal for it's family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by