Could ducks lay green eggs

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
Here's my problem. I have 1 19 week old EE/RIR cross that just started laying green eggs. She has given me one a day. Until today. I found 2 green eggs today at the normal spot. It couldn't be a chicken because my only other chicken that could lay green eggs is only 13 weeks old. Could a duck lay these types of eggs?

It must be that way. I found a 3rd green egg somewhere else today as well. Do you have any idea what breed would produce it? Here are my duck breeds that I have females of.

Swedish/Rouen cross
Pekin
Runner
Khaki Campbell
Buff

Yes certain breeds can lay green eggs. Could your chicken of just layed 2 this time? I know it happens sometimes.

Last edited:
Sorry just saw your new post. It could be the Rouen cross. I know rouens have a chance of laying green eggs.

ETA: Swedish also have the chance of laying green eggs. So I'm thinking maybe your Swedish/Rouen cross?

Last edited:
My Runner is a Blue Runner.

And with the Swedish/Rouen cross, I have 2 adult females and 1 young duck. The 2 adults lay white, so I'm assuming the younger one would lay white as well.

My Runner is a Blue Runner. 

And with the Swedish/Rouen cross, I have 2 adult females and 1 young duck. The 2 adults lay white, so I'm assuming the younger one would lay white as well.

Could be. I'm not really sure what decides the color of the eggs if its the parents genes or just a gene that certain breeds carry. But I'd have to agree with you that they most likely lay white eggs as well. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with this. Maybe as FP stated its your khaki?

ETA: the only way to tell would be separate everyone or at least one duck at a time until you find the culprit but I understand how time consuming that may be. And if your ducks are anything like mine than it could also be difficult lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom