Could ducks lay green eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marvun22, Sep 10, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Here's my problem. I have 1 19 week old EE/RIR cross that just started laying green eggs. She has given me one a day. Until today. I found 2 green eggs today at the normal spot. It couldn't be a chicken because my only other chicken that could lay green eggs is only 13 weeks old. Could a duck lay these types of eggs?

2. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Ducks can lay green eggs depending on their pigmentation. My hookbills (dusky) for example did.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    It must be that way. I found a 3rd green egg somewhere else today as well. Do you have any idea what breed would produce it? Here are my duck breeds that I have females of.

Swedish/Rouen cross
    Pekin
    Runner
    Khaki Campbell
    Buff

4. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Yes certain breeds can lay green eggs. Could your chicken of just layed 2 this time? I know it happens sometimes.

5. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I got a 3rd egg today as well, so I don't think that is possible.

6. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Sorry just saw your new post. It could be the Rouen cross. I know rouens have a chance of laying green eggs.

ETA: Swedish also have the chance of laying green eggs. So I'm thinking maybe your Swedish/Rouen cross?

7. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

According to my waterfowl standart, khaki campbells can also lay green eggs.

What colour does your runner have?

8. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    My Runner is a Blue Runner.

And with the Swedish/Rouen cross, I have 2 adult females and 1 young duck. The 2 adults lay white, so I'm assuming the younger one would lay white as well.

9. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Could be. I'm not really sure what decides the color of the eggs if its the parents genes or just a gene that certain breeds carry. But I'd have to agree with you that they most likely lay white eggs as well. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with this. Maybe as FP stated its your khaki?

ETA: the only way to tell would be separate everyone or at least one duck at a time until you find the culprit but I understand how time consuming that may be. And if your ducks are anything like mine than it could also be difficult lol.

10. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Could be. I could email Metzer's, which is where I got them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by