Could food that fell get moldy?

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
I have a feeder in the run that I keep filled at all times. They knock the food out sometimes more or less and there is a lot of food near the feeder on the ground could this get moldy? Right now since it is winter there is mostly dead grass and dirt. If it could get moldy what should I do?

Mold takes moisture to grow. If it did get moldy, I'd shovel it out. I would not use sand there, but if it's just a wee bit damp and covered so it can't get rained on, I'd lay down a layer of horse bedding pellets as that will dry anything out and they can scratch around in those to their heart's content.

Mold takes moisture to grow. If it did get moldy, I'd shovel it out. I would not use sand there, but if it's just a wee bit damp and covered so it can't get rained on, I'd lay down a layer of horse bedding pellets as that will dry anything out and they can scratch around in those to their heart's content.
Would dead pine needles do anything?

My birds rake out feed too. I sit pans under their bucket feeders. At night I pour it back into the feeder. I always sit the feeders in a large metal can to deter mice. Don't want to encourage the rodents as they will poop all in the feed and can bring disease in.
MamaBird.JPG

Back
Top Bottom